Personal Hotspot Catch 22

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Personal Hotspot Catch 22

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:22 am

Recently we had a power outage and I drove out to the Hurricane Ridge parkway, where I can get perfect LTE, to download iOS 9.1.
In a Catch 22, I found that my iPad had no problem using my iPhone 6s as a personal hotspot* and the download to the iPad was very fast, much faster than using our home DSL. But the iPhone wouldn’t download the iOS for itself, complaining that it needed WiFi.

* Personal hotspot is really cool. It allows us to use an iPhone for a cell connection with out WiFi-only iPad. You don't even have to have Personal Hotspot turned on, if you've enabled instant hotspot.
I can even use this with my iMac, which would be excellent for when I've lost DSL (at least for brief periods). The problem is that I don't get LTE inside my house usually. Oddly, my wife's iPhone 6 sometimes gets LTE when my iPhone 6s is only showing 3G. Down by Lake Dawn or out on the parkway, where we can see the cell tower, we get steady LTE.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs