iPhone 6s

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone 6s

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:51 pm

One cool feature is 4K video. I've been using 4K video built in to my Lumix FZ1000 for about a year now. Of course, HD video is pretty cool. But what's really cool is being able to pull out 8 megapixel frames for stills. This really works well, essentially giving you a 30 frames per second still burst mode.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: iPhone 6s

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Here is additional info:
Attachments
iPhone 6s Features.png
iPhone 6s Features.png (403.76 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Rose Gold

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:19 pm

I've read a few things that take Apple to task for calling the "pink" iPhone 6s "rose gold."

Apple introduced the Apple Watch in Rose Gold (see image below). Rose gold is a particular alloy of gold that looks kinda pink.
Rose gold is a gold and copper alloy widely used for specialized jewelry. Rose gold, also known as pink gold and red gold, was popular in Russia at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and was also known as Russian gold although this term is now obsolete. Rose gold jewelry is becoming more popular in the 21st century and is commonly used for wedding rings, bracelets, and other jewelry.

Although the names are often used interchangeably, the difference between red, rose, and pink gold is the copper content: the higher the copper content, the stronger the red coloration. Pink gold uses the least copper, followed by rose gold, with red gold having the highest copper content. Examples of the common alloys for 18K rose gold, 18K red gold, and 18K pink gold:

18K Red gold: 75% gold, 25% copper

18K Rose gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver

18K Pink gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver

So calling the pinkish iPhone 6s "rose gold" isn't that much of a stretch.
Attachments
rose.jpg
rose.jpg (16.09 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:21 pm

I can confirm that the 6s is measurably heavier than the 6, a few tenths of an ounce, according to an accurate electronic scale. But I don't think it feels any heavier. The edges of the phone do feel a tiny bit less slippery, though maybe that's just because it is new.

I used an encrypted backup to maximize the amount of data that would be copied to my new iPhone. There's less backed up if you don't encrypt (account passwords, Health and HomeKit are not backed up), and even less if you back up to iCloud (only essential data is backed up).

I had to sign in again to The New Yorker, and downloaded issues were lost. The New Yorker app has always been a tad flakey, and I've had to sign in for no reason in the past. Downloading is annoyingly slow at home, but very fast over LTE, so I'll probably just get past issues I want when I'm downtown sometime.

As I'm passing my iPhone 6 to my wife, it's handy that you can tell the phones apart by looking at the back. The 6s has less printing, and includes an S.

I haven't set up touch ID again yet, but I will try it again this weekend. Last year, I found it worked very well in September, but when the weather turned cold, and my fingers got dry, accuracy dropped.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Here's the best thing I've seen so far about the iPhone 6s:
On the new iPhones, you can use 3D touch to turn your keyboard into a trackpad, allowing for faster text selection. Press down anywhere on your keyboard to see the letter keys blur and your cursor come alive. You can then slide your finger around to quickly move the cursor where you want it, or press down a little bit harder to quickly highlight text. If you’ve ever found yourself peering through Apple’s magnifying loupe, struggling to fix a typo, you'll be glad to start using this feature regularly. The Verge
I don't know how many times I've been so frustrated by not having cursor keys or a mouse to move the cursor on my iPhone that I've just given up editing. Problem solved. This really works!
Of course, the degree to which this is handy depends a lot on how often you do anything with text on your phone (other than read it, of course). As a former writer and editor, I habitually want to edit everything I write, no matter how short.

Maybe Apple will find a way to bring this to older iPhones and iPads. I'm not sure the force-touch trigger is the key part.

Of course, I haven't tested the camera yet, and I'm pretty sure I'll rave about that.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

On Monday, Apple said it had sold more than 13 million new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus devices since they became available for sale on Friday, a record for first-weekend sales. That was up from the 10 million iPhones that flew off the shelves last year during the first weekend that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were sold.
Any increase in sales was most likely helped by the geography of the markets where the new iPhones became available. This year, the iPhones went on sale in a dozen countries and territories, including China, which is one of Apple’s biggest markets....

This year, UBS estimates that Apple will sell 78.4 million iPhones in the December quarter, up four million from last year, while FBR predicts the sale of 77 million iPhones.
The New York Times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 30, 2016 9:35 am

Stephen Hart wrote:One cool feature is 4K video. I've been using 4K video built in to my Lumix FZ1000 for about a year now. Of course, HD video is pretty cool. But what's really cool is being able to pull out 8 megapixel frames for stills. This really works well, essentially giving you a 30 frames per second still burst mode.
Here's a tip noting that you can capture a frame of video as a still while capturing the video uninterrupted.

There's a white button in addition to the video start stop button. The white button captures a single frame.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/05/30/ ... os.134347/

This works in iPhones other than the 6s, but the 6s frame will be 8MP, perfectly adequate for use as a still. It will have the video aspect ratio, though.

Taking frames from a video other than 4K may seem like it's not worth the effort. But back in '09, I used an iPod nano 5G to get some video and was able to get adequate stills for a wedding book. (Because of an oversight, it was the only camera anyone had during an outdoor walk the wedding party took.)
Steve Jobs