iPhone AppleCare +

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone AppleCare +

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:00 pm

While I've paid for AppleCare for MacBooks and MacBook Pros, I've never paid for AppleCare for an iPhone.
But I've had pretty bad luck with iPhones. I've had to replace three because of defects and had a defect in a fourth that I didn't do anything about.
In one of those cases, I paid Apple for the out-of-warranty replacement cost, but got reimbursed by my credit card company.
Because Verizon, like most carriers, currently keeps on charging even after your replacement date has come and gone, and because technology marches on, I've always upgraded after two years.

But I think there are three trends converging now that affect how I think about that:

1. The cellphone industry is in turmoil, turmoil, I tell you. Two years from now, the contract landscape may be very different. (Thanks T-Mobile!)
2. iPhone is getting to be a mature product. I'm sure Apple will keep pushing the envelope, but that may be in cosmetics more than function for a few years at least. (I'm fully aware that I could be proved oh, so wrong on that score.)
3. I was willing to cough up the extra $100 for 32 GB, because I always have around 20 GB on my 32 GB iPhone 5, too much for a 16 GB model. But for the same money, I'm getting 64 GB. That's an awful lot of podcasts, iTunes U lectures, books, audiobooks, photos and resident music. I predict I won't get near filling that for a few years.

So I'm thinking I may keep my iPhone 6/64 for three years instead of the usual two. That means Apple's one year plus my credit card's one additional year won't be enough.
But is it worth $100 for AppleCare + to get two years from Apple and one additional year from the credit-card company?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone AppleCare +

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:57 am

I'm not a fan of extended warranties but iDevices are so complicated and difficult to repair that I just pony up the money and buy AppleCare when I get a new device. With the two-year cycle in major changes for the iPhone I know that if something happens to my iPhone during those two years the AppleCare warranty will make it right. I just consider it part of the price of the iPhone.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:47 am

OK, I'm convinced. But how do I get it? At the online store, apparently you can only add AppleCare+ to a cart when you're buying a phone. So do I need to take it in or call? (That would be lame.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 am

Stephen Hart wrote:OK, I'm convinced. But how do I get it? At the online store, apparently you can only add AppleCare+ to a cart when you're buying a phone. So do I need to take it in or call? (That would be lame.)
Since I got my new iPhone directly from Verizon I tried going to the online Apple Store to buy the AppleCare+ package and was told I couldn't since I hadn't ordered it with a new iPhone. This makes sense because people would not buy the extended protection, wait until there was a problem (if there was one) and then buy it.

I can't remember all the options Apple gave me but one was going to an Apple Store and letting them examine the new iPhone to make sure it was OK and then I could buy the AppleCare+ at the store. I have to be going through Tacoma in a couple of weeks so I'll do it then.

But there were other options letting you avoid a trip to an Apple Store. I just don't remember them. Call AppleCare and they could probably tell you what's what.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.