iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 am

FWIW, Verizon says the iPhone 6 will be delivered on the 19th, so the plans are as in the past. I believe I read that iPhones are actually preshipped after being preordered to make it easier on delivery folks.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 am

I wanted to change carriers so I went to the new carrier's website last night rather than going to the Apple Store. I got in without a hitch and received an email confirmation this morning. It said I'd receive my new iPhone on the 19th. Cool!

The only problem I ran into was when I requested transferring my old number. I needed some detailed information from my old carrier and that carrier's website was down. I'm assuming it was overwhelmed with people trying to upgrade existing accounts or trying to establish new accounts. So I opted for a new number with the new carrier and everything sailed through. It's no big deal. Only a handful of folks have my cell number and I'll email them with the new one.

I opted to jump from the 16GB to the 64GB. I haven't filled the 16GB on my current iPhone 5 but it's getting close. Apps tend to grow in size not shrink so I figured I better get the next size up. It was nice of Apple to go from 16GB to 64GB on the new iPhone 6.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:04 am

I opted to jump from the 16GB to the 64GB. I haven't filled the 16GB on my current iPhone 5 but it's getting close. Apps tend to grow in size not shrink so I figured I better get the next size up. It was nice of Apple to go from 16GB to 64GB on the new iPhone 6.
When I bought an iPhone 5, I chose the 32 GB model. With my 16 GB 4, I was always having to make decisions about what to have loaded. Now I don't. I don't use all 32 GB, but always more than 16. It'll be even easier with 64 GB. I suspect making 64 the next step was a matter of the economics of flash memory chips.

My wife, Karen, will get my 5, making management much easier for her too. Also, she'll get LTE downtown.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 am

I keep some security controls on my credit reports with the three main credit rating companies. This keeps naughty people from opening accounts and buying things using my name and other information that they shouldn't have. It slows down the credit process for me but has stopped bad people more than once from using my credit identity.

So this morning I received an email from the fraud department of my new carrier asking me to call them. All the information in the email was correct so I knew it was legitimate plus I confirmed online that this phone number really did belong to the carrier. I had to call several times to get in. More than likely because so many new iPhones were sold last night and I'm not the only one with these credit controls. When I finally got through to a customer service person and answered all the "super secret security questions" she thanked me for my new business and confirmed that my new iPhone will be delivered on the 19th.

Having things delivered to your door is a whole lot nicer than getting in line at an Apple Store. :D
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 am

Having things delivered to your door is a whole lot nicer than getting in line at an Apple Store. :D
Unless you're trying to set a new record. I read that there are many campers waiting at the New York Apple Store.
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:30 pm

I managed to get my order in for a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T) using the Apple Store app on my iPad last night (9/12).

I am expecting delivery sometime during the first week of October. Once I get it I plan to offer my UNLOCKED 32 GB Black iPhone 5 for sale here on the Strait Mac User Group Forum.

:)
Attachments
iPhone 6 Plus Conf.png
iPhone 6 Plus Conf.png (37.6 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

A bit more good news for Verizon iPhone 6 customers:

Verizon's finally rolling out VoLTE, including HD audio voice and video calling. The iPhone 6 does VoLTE. It's not clear to me about earlier models. This may be Verizon/Verizon only to start with. I don't know if this will affect any of my usual calls, though.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am

Fedex has picked up my iPhone 6 in Memphis.
As in the past, Apple's seeded the US market. But if my earlier experience is anything to go by, all the US stock will be gone very quickly, and then all further orders--including replacements--will ship directly from China.

I forgot to mention earlier that when I placed my order, Verizon gave me a lagniappe, 1 GB of data/month free for the duration of my contract. This is clearly a come on to get people to use more data, then move up a notch, paying for more data. But as we haven't yet exceeded our 3GB cap, and Verizon charges $20/month for each extra 2 GB, I figure Verizon just gave me $240 worth of data. If I actually use that, and don't move up to the next monthly payment level, that pays for my iPhone's extra 48 GB and for AppleCare+ for the third year. This actually matters because downloading data with LTE downtown is quite a bit faster than downloading by WiFi at our house. (I know, slippery slope.)
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 pm

I missed this before, but this page allows you to compare a 4s through a 5s with a 6 or 6 plus:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/display/
Attachments
compare.jpg
compare.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Steve Jobs