Photos on iPhone

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Photos on iPhone

Post by Photo Jeanne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:41 pm

I have an iPhone with photos that I have imported from iPhoto. I now need to remove these photos and can't seem to find a way to do that. I can't delete them; there's no way to access them and the trash can at the same time. I can't move them; again no indicated way to do it. I've tried iPhoto, Image Capture, and something new called iPubsoft which is supposed to allow you to transfer from iPhones to Macs. Nothing seems to be working. Anyone got an idea? Should I try Photoshop?

Jeanne

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Photos on iPhone

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:16 pm

When you first import photos, you are presented with a dialog that offers to delete the items on the iPhone (or iPad). This is the same in iPhoto and Aperture.

There's some sense in rejecting that option. And there are some people who foam at the mouth about how you should reject that option. However, in downloading some 100,000 photos from several different cameras with many different cards in them, to iPhoto and Aperture, I've never lost a photo because of a failure to download properly. I have lost some photos because of a total hard drive failure, and some because of user error :oops:

OK, moving on...
You can delete anything from your iPhone. And you won't lose anything as long as you've already downloaded the photos to your Mac.
Why the italics? Because a relative of mine kept hundreds of photos only on her iPhone. Then her child threw her iPhone into an aquarium.

So I recommend the following:

1. Always download any photos you take with your iPhone onto your Mac. (Because, of course, being a SMUG member in good standing, you have excellent backup habits for your Mac...) (See additional note below.)
2. Never keep photos on your iPhone without downloading them to your Mac. (See #1.)
3. In iPhoto (or Aperture), set up an album with any photos you want on your iPhone. In iPhoto (or Aperture), these are just aliases, so you can add and delete as you like.
4. Sync that album to your iPhone.
5. Never expect your iPhone to be the only storage for any photos you might ever want to keep. (See #1.)

All of my rant above applies to any digital camera, not just an iPhone. While there are many computer files that you can--sometimes with a lot of work--replace, many photos are not replaceable. Guard them with care.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs