Two Different Apple Accounts

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Two Different Apple Accounts

Post by Bob Wiswell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 pm

My wife and I both have an iPhone 5C. Her phone is the older phone, the first one purchased, and has an established Apple ID (our Olypen e-mail address) and a password. On my newer phone I want to establish a new Apple account, so I can store my information and app purchases, and contacts separate from hers. When I go to establish an account it always says to enter our e-mail address in the ID box and then enter a password.

My question is: if I enter our e-mail address in the new account setup it seems this would take me to the old account and then reset the password when I entered it- is this correct? OR, does it recognize that we have two different user names, with the same ID, but with two different passwords? I don't want to wipe out my wife's account in trying to set one up for me.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Two Different Apple Accounts

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:01 pm

You can have different e-mail addresses associated with an Apple ID. But your ID name also has to be a valid e-mail address. So yes, if you enter the same e-mail address, Apple won't let you proceed.
I don't actually know if you can enter the Apple ID e-mail address as an auxiliary e-mail address for another Apple ID, but if that's a problem, the Apple form will tell you.

But not to worry.

You can easily set Mail up to cope with more than one e-mail address. Once set up, that's not really much of a hassle.
You can also bounce any e-mail address to another e-mail address. Then you could essentially forget about the one being bounced. (Lots of people consolidate e-mail addresses via Google, but you can bounce any e-mail address.)

You probably want to have an iCloud e-mail address for your iPhone (that is, to set up a new Apple ID) and your wife to have a different one for her iPhone. Even if these are not your main, preferred e-mail addresses, they'll come in handy.

We've ended up with three family Apple IDs and my wife has a fourth. At present, you can't consolidate or delete Apple IDs, and items purchased under each one remain separate. Remember that you can authorize five Macs (and also iDevices, I think) for any one Apple ID.

And, yes, this could be a lot less confusing. Maybe Apple will get around to fixing this.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 am

Bob,

As Stephen has indicated, you will need a second e-mail address if you are sure you want a second Apple ID.

You can, of course, just get a free e-mail account from Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. ... but you could also simply get an alias for your existing Olypen e-mail address, assuming that you are still happy having you and your wife's e-mails combined into one account.

All you need to do is log in to your account at the Olypen website, select Account Management from the left sidebar, and then select Change Email Password (even though you don't want to do that).

You will then be presented with a dialog box that includes the section shown below.

As you can see, I have two aliases that can be used to forward mail to my primary e-mail address. An alias can be used to create website logins and accounts, or in your case to create a new Apple ID.

So maybe you can create the alias "BobWiswell@olypen.com", for example!

;)
Attachments
Alias.png
Alias.png (27.2 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Ray,
Thank you. This sounds like a very good option. I do want to keep our present e-mails all coming to the same account. The alias sounds like exactly what I want. I want to have a separate set of apps than my wife's, primarily.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:20 pm

Bob,

Just so you know ... there are only two ways you and your wife can keep separate Contacts:
1) separate Macs
2) separate logins on a single Mac ... having to login and logout between syncing each of your iPhones.

If keeping separate Contacts was not that important, an alternative would be to keep separate iTunes Libraries on a single Mac.
There is more about that alternative here: http://www.imore.com/how-use-multiple-a ... and-itunes

Keep in mind that all of the above alternatives will mean that you can no longer share purchased music, books, or apps ... so you will both be on your own for individual purchases. In addition, with the first two alternatives, you would each have to maintain your own Mac Mail app.

I am just suggesting that you think carefully before going the route of separate Apple IDs.

Ray

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:52 am

You can choose which apps are loaded independently of which Apple ID was used to buy them. Select one iPhone name in the iTunes sidebar and then click the Apps tab. Click Remove or Install as you wish. Do the same for the other iPhone. The same goes for all the rest of the tabs. (If both iPhones don't appear, you may need to turn on WiFi syncing.)
Also remember that you can organize icons on the iPhone into multiple Home screens and into folders. You can put the most-used apps on one or two screens, for example. When iOS 7 came out, with the Command Center (swipe up from the bottom of any screen), I took all the apps available there and put them on the last Home screen in a folder, which reduces clutter. I also keep Contacts there because it's so easily available from the Phone app.

When we set up our iPhones, we found that we were dragging along some habits from dumb phones and cordless home phones. One of these was trying to figure out which Contacts we wanted loaded on each iPhone. Then we realized that we don't have to choose. Just keep all contacts on both phones. You can easily find a contact by scrolling alphabetically, or searching from any Home screen. If you really want to see one set of contacts when you look at the whole list, create groups in Contacts on your Mac, then choose a group on each iPhone.
Once we realized that making and changing contacts on the Mac was so easy (real keyboard, etc.) we greatly expanded our use of Contacts. We enter any contact, even if it's rarely used. We also keep more information in the Notes field. This is not like a paper contacts book. It doesn't get fatter or heavier as you add more data.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 am

Now I am really confused. Ray you say,..."think carefully before going the route of separate Apple IDs." I thought I had to have separate IDs, one for each phone. My wife has an iPhone and an Apple ID/account/password. I am in the process of getting an iPhone and trying to understand how to set it up when it arrives. Let me backup: Can I have two iPhones using the same account; one ID and one password, i.e., the same email ID and password on the two phones?

We will not be doing any synching between our computers and the phones because we both are still using Snow Leopard (10.6) (we do have separate mac laptops) and icloud requires Lion (10.7). Her phone gets backed up to the cloud, but I connect it directly to the computer to download photos. Also, my wife doesn't really use iTunes for music, so music libraries is not an issue.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 am

Bob Wiswell wrote:Can I have two iPhones using the same account; one ID and one password, i.e., the same email ID and password on the two phones?
In a word, YES.

And that would certainly make your lives much simpler. It is the same concept as you and your wife sharing one credit card ... and you will, if you both use the same Apple ID on both phones. That same Apple ID (and password) will be used by either of you to purchase apps from the App Store, books from the iBooks Store, and media from the iTunes Store. And a single purchase will allow you to download to both phones.

You will, however, each be able to keep your own set of apps on your own phone along with your own selection of media from your iTunes library. And as long as both phones have their own names, like "Bob's iPhone", syncing should work fine for both of you using iTunes, and each having your own separate backup files on the Mac.

;)

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

So Ray, when I go to set up my phone and it asks for the Apple ID I just use the one my wife uses, our wiswell@olypen.com emaile address and then enter the existing password? Apple doesn't care whether the same ID name and password is coming from two different phones?

In my mind I think I just answered my own question. Presently, from my computer, in the iTunes store, I enter our email address ID and her password and download music (usually the free song}. The store isn't questioning which computer the song is going to. I think maybe I overworked the problem.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:10 pm

You can sign in with any Apple ID to buy things (remember that you have to "buy" the free stuff too). Also, all other functions that require an Apple ID can be done with any valid Apple ID. You can also change the Apple ID after setting up the iPhone.

How do you plan to do e-mail on the two iPhones?
Steve Jobs