Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

backup files of Word documents

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

backup files of Word documents

Post by brianyoung » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Suddenly, for some reason, I am getting backup files of all of my Word documents. This never happened before. I could understand if there had been a crash, and the files were saved as backups, but that has not happened. So now, when I open Finder, and look in a folder, there are twice as many files as normal. Is there a way to either turn this off, or to make backup files invisible? It would be fine if they just exist in the background, but it is not necessary to see them all on a regular basis.
Brian

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: backup files of Word documents

Post by brianyoung » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 pm

The solution:
I Googled this topic, and soon found out that I was not alone. A lot of people were complaining about this flood of backup files. The solution is this:
Open Word, go to Preferences/Save, and uncheck "Always create backup copies." I cannot remember having checked this, so I don't know why this behavior started. I do constant backups anyhow, and prefer not to have my folders double in content. Maybe there is a way to have backup files, but to keep them hidden, in the background, but I have not discovered that secret, if it exists.
Brian

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 am

I cannot remember having checked this, so I don't know why this behavior started. I do constant backups anyhow, and prefer not to have my folders double in content. Maybe there is a way to have backup files, but to keep them hidden, in the background, but I have not discovered that secret, if it exists.
Did you update Word recently? Occasionally, a preference can get reset during updates in various apps.

From what I can see, Word does not give you the option to select a folder for backups.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:52 am

I can't remember if I updated Office or Word. I quite often get these little notices that an update is ready to be installed. So it is possible. I have Office for Mac 2011, and I really do like it. There are some newer versions of Office that are so totally different from the older versions. At my work I use Excel spreadsheets, a program I have used for 15 years. The new Excel is so different that it drives me crazy.Even Outlook and Word has changed. Why does Microsoft do that? We will never know!
At any rate, I am no longer getting the backup files. I do my own daily backup with Time Machine.
Brian

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 am

I am not sure why you suddenly started seeing backup files but my recollection is that Word saves backup files by default. I agree with Stephen that the change could have been caused by an upgrade you installed.

As far as backup file locations, yes, you are always able to tell Word where to store those. The procedure has been unchanged for 20 years... In Word -> Preferences see these two screens:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.53.04 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.53.04 AM.jpg (57.72 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 am

And this...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.53.25 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 8.53.25 AM.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

brianyoung
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by brianyoung » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have tried to do exactly that, but I cannot get it to work. I made up a folder that I named "word backups." Then I went to the place where it lists file location, clicked on AutoRecover files, and then modified the location to the folder I had made. Then I clicked OK, and saved the document. The backups still show up in the same folder as the original. So I will just live it. Maybe I should be glad I have the backups, even if they won't go where I want them.
Brian

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:12 am

Maybe to Word, Backup Copy and Autorecover are two different things. From the text below, it seems as if you may be able to set the location for Autorecover files in preferences, but the only option for Backup Copy is on or off.

Note that I haven't used Word much for years, so I may be off base.

Also, Word has this weird "feature" that Preferences are not available unless a document is open. Does that mean that some preferences apply only on a per-document basis?
Attachments
backups.jpg
backups.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs