Time capsule backups

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Time capsule backups

Post by swifty » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:12 am

Ever since we got our time capsule, we have been regularly backing up our two computers without mishap. Just lately, one of the computers can't do the backup. Here is the error message we get.
Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 5.18.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 5.18.52 PM.png (35.3 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Meanwhile, the other computer continues to backup without difficulty.

I've tried a number of things, like updating, resetting, and so forth, but nothing seems to work. The airport utility shows everything is working. See attachment.
Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 7.57.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 7.57.06 PM.png (75.38 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Time capsule backups

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 pm

It's almost like there are two computers that the Time Capsule thinks are the same. Have you ever backed up a third computer to the Time Capsule? Have you replaced the hard drive or otherwise changed the one that won't back up?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by swifty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 am

Stephen,

For whatever reason, I did something that worked. Among the things I did was to have the computer leave then rejoin the network. Also, I updated the network. I was told at Olypen too that I should try to delete the file causing the problem. Fortunately, I didn't have to explore that option. To answer your question, I haven't tried to back up a third computer or replace the hard drive. But thanks. Dick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 am

If this crops up again, you might try to keep notes on what preceded the problem.

I use Time Machine and a standard external drive to do the same job you're doing. It should just work.

The sparcebundle file you note is the backup. If you delete that, you'll lose all previously backed up file versions and will have to start from scratch.

Restarting the network connection is a good troubleshooting step, kind of like restarting a Mac.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs