Cannon In The Microsoft Store

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Cannon In The Microsoft Store

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:12 am

At a Seattle mall I went to the Apple Store. There's lots of activity and even more so because people are here to check out and pick up the new iPad Mini. Just below the Apple Store on a lower level of the mall is a Microsoft Store. It's like night and day compared to the Apple Store.

Microsoft has all these banners up touting Windows 8 and their new Surface Tablet but nobody's in the store. And I really mean nobody! The employees are standing around twiddling their thumbs looking desperately at passersby hoping at least one of us would come in. I almost did as a mission of mercy but why toy with their emotions.

As we Okies like to say you could shoot off a cannon in that place and not hit a soul.

I sure hope those Microsoft employees aren't paid on commission.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

8string
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: Cannon In The Microsoft Store

Post by 8string » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 am

yes, they're pretty late to the game, and haven't really got the momentum yet, if they ever will. Reminds me of the old Radio Shack Computer Stores that I started my computer career in, as opposed to the Computerland franchise. While there was a lot to like technically about the Radio Shack TRS80, Model 100 (way ahead of its' time), color computer, it didn't really matter. IBM with DOS was the only game worth playing. Apple has very successfully turned the tables on MSFT at this moment, but now they have to deal with Android, outselling them a ton to one.

I happened to go by Best Buy in Bremerton and actually put my hands on a Lenovo Yoga Windows 8 machine (not the Surface RT one but the competitor to the Mac Air). I think the good news is that the industrial design of the Yoga is fabulous. Much better idea than the Air, about the same size. Windows 8 on it was very slick. I think that if I was in the market for a Mac Air like sized Ultrabook, or Mac Air, and had the need to be running Windows apps, like Quicken business, I would likely buy it. What's so special? you can use it like a ultraportable laptop, and then swivel the screen 180 degrees farther back and mate it up with the back of the keyboard and you end up having a tablet. It will be running the apps designed for the W8 interface over time, and for now runs (maybe) many of the older Windows apps. It's actually getting good reviews from even pro-Apple reviewers. You should take a look at their videos on the Lenovo site.

Why is this important to the Mac camp? Well, I think the variety of designs coming out for Windows 8 will push Apple to come out with more useable designs themselves. This Yoga design idea is very compelling, but not sure how it works over an extended period. But I would like to see Apple do something similar, a hybrid laptop/tablet. I really don't use my tablet for anything like business use. keyboard limitations are too big. Even bluetooth keyboards seem like a dumb idea (I tried one for a few months). It was like carrying a laptop with all the limitations of a tablet.

Competition, even if you don't buy those products, is good for Apple, as it was for MSFT in the 90s with Novell. It pushed the company forward faster.

I still don't think that Windows 8 is a suitable competitor to Apple's very mature OSX. For the consumer and small business market, Apple has an advantage to an extent on design. Still lacks apps of significance, like Quicken Business.

I don't doubt that MSFT will continue to pour money into the consumer marketing of Windows 8 and Surface. I don't count them out until they leave the market. They have very deep pockets. And the newer products, like the changes to Hotmail, Skydrive and even the new Windows Phone OS, are really quite good from a feature/function set. Now just to see if they can get anyone to buy them. I don't hold out a lot of hope for their success, beyond a small market share. And the ability to sell to folks who can't afford Apple.