Can't get my eternal speakers hooked up correctly

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Can't get my eternal speakers hooked up correctly

Post by jeanne » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 am

I have a mac mini with new external bose speakers. I've got them connected to the power (I can hear background noise), I have them connected to each other correctly but I can't figure out how to make them work. There are too many options in System Preferences and I don't know if I have them corrected to the back of the MaC Mini properly. Can someone help me with this?
Thank you
Jean Sokolinski

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Can't get my eternal speakers hooked up correctly

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:16 am

You don't say what year your Mac Mini is but this what the back of a new Mini looks like. Your speakers plug into the small round port on the right side shown with the headphone icon above it. You shouldn't have to make any changes in your system preferences. There is a volume control on your keyboard and likely in your menu bar.

-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by jeanne » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah Thanks for the answer - I mistakenly had them connected to Audio In rather than Audio Out - they should make those icons larger.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 am

jeanne wrote:Yeah Thanks for the answer - I mistakenly had them connected to Audio In rather than Audio Out - they should make those icons larger.
I agree. All recent Macs I've had have those two ports adjacent. And, unlike all other ports on Macs, they're identical (because they use the same plugs), and the icons are just too small.
On the other hand, once you realize that the headphone jack is always the last one in line, there's less of a problem.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs