ipad link to macbook

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
stscrs
Forum Member
Forum Member

ipad link to macbook

Post by stscrs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

I have discovered that when I delete mail from my iPad it also deletes the same mail on my MacBook. Is there a fix to this?
stscrs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: ipad link to macbook

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 am

iCloud is syncing everything which is why deleting a message from one device will delete it from all devices. You have three options:

1) Turn off iCloud syncing. Not a good option because keeping all devices synced is a real benefit.

2) Move messages you want to keep to a mailbox you've created on your Mac, like SAVE. These messages will not be deleted from your Mac.

3) Set your Mail preferences to keep a copy of deleted messages on the ISP server. You can always retrieve them from there.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: ipad link to macbook

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 am

When you receive an e-mail message in the iCloud account, it'll show up in all your in boxes.

If you move an e-mail message to a mail box you've set up on your Mac, it'll be deleted from iCloud, but will be stored on your Mac. You can also set up one or more mailboxes on your iPad to store messages on the device. You can also set up folders in iCloud. I haven't done this, but I think you can do it in the web interface to iCloud.

I always drag messages to mailboxes on my Mac.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs