setting up individual mail folders to save mail

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
stscrs
Forum Member
Forum Member

setting up individual mail folders to save mail

Post by stscrs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 am

New to the mac I need to save mail to folders (I assume it is dock created on left side of mail page). I can't seem to create a folder. Hopefully, it is an easy process with which you can help. Thanks
stscrs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: setting up individual mail folders to save mail

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:06 am

It's slightly confusing that Apple calls all those things "mailboxes," even though they look like folders.
There are two ways to make a new one:

1. Mail > Mailbox > New Mailbox

2. Use the little plus button at the bottom of the sidebar.

Note that you can have mailboxes within mailboxes, just like you can have folders inside folders in the Finder.
A mailbox that has one or more mailboxes inside it will have a little reveal triangle to its left. And a mailbox that has mailboxes inside it can also have e-mails in it.
In the example below, I have a Family mailbox. Inside it is an Orders, Bank mailbox with several mailboxes in it. One of those--Computer Orders, SNs--has mailboxes inside it.

Mail also supports smart mailboxes, which may be handy in certain circumstances. And remember that you can set up rules (Mail > Preferences > Rules) to automatically move mail with certain attributes to any given mailbox. You can also perform many other tasks with rules.
Attachments
mailbox.jpg
mailbox.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 511 times
hierarchical.jpg
hierarchical.jpg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 511 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

stscrs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by stscrs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks for the help. Your information was much appreciated. Thanks too, for your quick reply. Moving from a PC to Mac so I have a lot to learn.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:15 am

How you set up Mail is highly individual. I'm a bit of a neatness freak, so use a lot of maiboxes. Others use fewer and rely more on search.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs