Flat-Screen TV as Monitor

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Flat-Screen TV as Monitor

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 am

I brought this up on the old forum, and I'll reprise it here.

I'm going to replace our old CRT TV with a flat-screen model. Probably a 37" from Costco. I'm confused by the many different models Costco offers. Any tips from SMUG?

I'll use it with a DVD player (probably a new but simple one) and with a MacBook Pro (mid 2010) for playing streaming Netflix movies. I'll probably use a set of computer speakers with the TV, not a surround-sound setup.

I have a DVI adapter for the MacBook Pro (see below). Do I need an HDMI adapter?
Will the TV come with cables long enough for connecting to the MacBook?
Attachments
connector.jpg
connector.jpg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Flat-Screen TV as Monitor

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 am

Stephen Hart wrote: I have a DVI adapter for the MacBook Pro (see below). Do I need an HDMI adapter?
Will the TV come with cables long enough for connecting to the MacBook?
I have been using the same DVI adapter, but am using it with a DVI to HDMI cable. I would bet that most current HDTVs come without DVI in ports. I would shoot for a new TV with at least three HDMI ports.

Most HDTVs don't come with any cables, but you could always check the box to see what is included. I would also check out Radio Shack and see what length cables they have in stock in planning for your purchase.

One other suggestion: Consider an AppleTV ($99) to wirelessly stream video/audio to your new HDTV (either from iTunes on your MacBook or from an iPad)... it might save having a cable draped across the family room floor. Also, consider that 25' HDMI cable alone could cost around $80.

;)
Attachments
Netflix2.png
Netflix2.png (272.24 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Last edited by Ray Bentsen on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks, Ray.
I wasn't thinking about running the cable across the room, just far enough to let the MacBook sit on a cart with the TV. I think the Remote app will let me control the movie with my iPhone.
This cable seems like it'd do fine:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4637ZM/A

I see that Apple TV works with Netflix. You still need an hdmi-hdmi cable, but Apple's is only $19.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:48 am

I seriously doubt that the HDTV will come with any cable other than the power cable. Most peripherals (e.g., satellite receiver or DVD player) will provide you with the proper cable to connect to your HDTV. The typical HDMI cable length is 6' so if you need a longer run you're going to have to buy an additional cable.

Don't watch movies using some substandard computer speaker set. COSTCO sells a great sound bar from Vizio for $89. And if you want good bass then COSTCO also has a set from Vizio that includes the sound bar and a wireless subwoofer.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks.

How's the volume on such speakers? We sometimes find that older movies have poor soundtracks, both in quality and volume.

It would be convenient to have less cable clutter. The system we have now is a kludge, with a regular TV plus computer speakers (with bass unit) running out of the DVD player and a rat's nest of cables.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:33 pm

We use the sound bar on a new flat panel HDTV and it sounds great. It connects to the HDTV via a single audio optical cable but you can use RCA cables if you like clutter.

Give it a try. If you don't like it you can return it to COSTCO within a specified time frame.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:you can use RCA cables if you like clutter
I just finished making two large computer desks preparatory to moving our office and then working on the room it's in now. (And then moving it back.)

Each has a 24" x 4" cutout on the back edge, with a shelf 4" below the cutout to hold a power strip out of sight. There are still a lot of cables.
All of our keyboards and mice are wireless, of course. See second image below.

[Back on topic]
We keep our TV on a wheeled cart, and I'm going to buy a new one to move toward a cleaner look.

I will think about the advice you've both given. I may be able to sell the Apple TV to my wife as a way to watch video lectures when we don't have a movie in mind. (I'm going to start a new thread about Apple TV, as it seems to be enough far off the topic.) This is the series I've been listening to (and sometimes looking at) recently:
http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/
Attachments
darwin.jpg
darwin.jpg (31.04 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
newdesk.jpg
newdesk.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Just a thought... Before you start buying any external speakers or bar and the appropriate cables check the HDTV and see what kind of audio out ports it has.

For our setup I go from the source (satellite TV receiver) directly to the sound bar and bypass the HDTV completely. You may or may not want to do it that way based on your setup.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Richard, your last post is right on. I'll just buy the TV and experiment with its own speakers and the computer speakers we have on hand.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Richard, your last post is right on. I'll just buy the TV and experiment with its own speakers and the computer speakers we have on hand.
You have my personal guarantee that you won't use the HDTV's internal speakers. These new flat TVs just don't have any room for speakers so what you get is just awful. That's why we had to buy the Vizio sound bar for $89. Be prepared to shell out some more loot for sound.
---