Internet in Scenic Downtown Joyce

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Internet in Scenic Downtown Joyce

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 pm

A club member who lives in Joyce is wondering what he can do to get high speed internet in that booming metropolis. He WAS trying to use his iPhone as a tethered hotspot to get internet but that combination is a high speed race with a solid frozen bucket of molasses. So... do any of you know what the options might be in that part of the world? He does not have cable TV. And at the present, he doesn't have a landline either... but I've suggested that he could possibly get DSL through the phone line if he did have a landline... but I don't know whether Century Link provides DSL in Joyce, do you? Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Internet in Scenic Downtown Joyce

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:03 pm

"..a solid frozen bucket of molasses." I love it! What part of the country does that come from?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:30 pm

If he has a decent phone line, and CenturyLink will do it, DSL should work. I've lived with that for years. He might have to nag a bit. It took us years to get DSL up here. The final straw for Qwest was when a neighbor ordered a T-1 line and told Qwest he wanted to set up WiFi for neighbors within a line of sight of his house. Within weeks Qwest had achieved the previously impossible task of connecting us to DSL.

Click Get Internet Now and fill in the address:
http://www.centurylink.com/home/interne ... 73070#CTAM

If he can get cable, that would be much faster. I didn't see an availability link on the site, buy you could call.

Satellite is probably a nonstarter.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm

He says he gets TV from a satellite service (don't know which one). Is that an option for data?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:He says he gets TV from a satellite service (don't know which one). Is that an option for data?
You can get satellite internet. I believe Richard Serkes is the SMUG expert on that topic.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:27 pm

I dropped my satellite Internet service in 2008 when DSL came to my neck of the woods. I haven't been keeping up with the various providers. But in those days there was HughesNet and then everyone else. The big problem with satellite I'Net is that it has speeds comparable to mid-level DSL but for a much higher price. Because the amount of data/day is quite small there's no way to download most software or software upgrades which is the way things are happening these days. And then there's the up front installation costs.

If this Joyceite can get service from either cable TV or DSL from CenturyLink then that would be my recommendation. Satellite service is the last choice as I see it.

And yes, you used to be able to bundle DirecTV and HughesNet but there were some hardware limitations I didn't like. However, that was four years ago so I don't know if the problems persist.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 am

He might want to look at exede.com . They are a fairly new satellite provider. I don't know anything about them except that their advertised download speed is 12 mb and 7.5 GB data cap for $49.99 a month. Hughes charges $49.99 for 1 mb download speed and a 6 GB data cap. If I was going to get satellite I would seriously consider exede. I had DirecWay/Hughes until Nikola reached our area. I wasn't too happy with them.

He might also consider a MiFi or other mobile hotspot, depending on what kind of coverage is available.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:26 pm

A high download speed might not be that great with a download cap. You'd just reach the no-downloads point quicker.
Steve Jobs

Barbara
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by Barbara » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I live off Camp Hayden Rd in the Joyce area. After having Hughes Net Satellite for 10 years, we dumped it and purchased from Verizon a neat little Mobile Hotspot - MiFi 4510L. When we purchased it in March, the price for the device was $50 and we got a $50 rebate. This is a great little device. It has a battery, but we keep it plugged into the AC charger all the time....the battery does not over charge. It will accommodate up to 5 devices connected. We have it centrally located in our house and have no connectivity problems. The speed is great.

The Verizon plan that we have is $50/month for 5 gigs. Between our iPhone hotspot and the MiFi, we rarely go over the limit. If we do, then it's just $10 for an additional gig.

I purchased this at the Verizon store in Sequim. It located in the little mall by Office Depot. The salesman, Anthony, was great. He set it all up, making it ready to use when I got home.

I hope this is helpful.