Contact List

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Contact List

Post by Mary Howard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 pm

I want my contact list to go to iCloud then to my iPad. It doesn't, therefore if I am away from my Mac and want to send an e-mail from my iPad I can't unless I happen to know the e-mail address in my head or have a previous e-mail that I can respond to. How to I get all my e-mail addresses to my iPad?
The past you can not change, the future you do not know. Handle today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Contact List

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Three steps.

1. Be sure you are not also syncing your Contact List using iTunes. That is, be sure that the check box in the Info section of your iPad configuration is NOT checked. (see first screenshot)
2. In the iCloud section of System Prefs on your Mac, turn on syncing of Contacts (see second screenshot)
3. In the iCloud section of iPad Settings, turn on syncing of Contacts (see third screenshot)

From that point on, any change made on one device will be synced via iCloud to the other ... as long as there is Internet access.

;)
Attachments
Sync iPad Contacts.jpg
Sync iPad Contacts.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
iCloud Prefs.jpg
iCloud Prefs.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
iCloud on iPad.jpg
iCloud on iPad.jpg (220.79 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Ray, it isn't working. I don't have my iPad shown on the iTunes area like you do it actually doesn't show under an place called devices. There are not any devices shown at all. So I have to assume that it's not on or being shared throught iTunes. I have all the other places turned on and I am not syncing back and forth. Any other suggestions.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Your iPad should show up in iTunes if it's close enough for BlueTooth, and awake, or if it's plugged in with USB.

As Ray said, if you have iTunes syncing on, the iPad will only sync the same way podcasts will sync, for example.

If you want iCloud syncing, you need to have three settings correct: 1. iTunes sync unchecked, 2. iCloud sync set up in System Preferences > iCloud, and 3. iCloud sync set up on the iPad.

By the way, the autofill for e-mail on my iPhone is excellent. I can generally get the right e-mail by typing just the first character.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Mary Howard wrote:Ray, it isn't working. I don't have my iPad shown on the iTunes area like you do it actually doesn't show under an place called devices. There are not any devices shown at all. So I have to assume that it's not on or being shared throught iTunes. I have all the other places turned on and I am not syncing back and forth. Any other suggestions.
Mary,
Just to help diagnose the problem ...
1. When you connect your iPad to your Mac with the USB cable (with the iPad turned on), does the iPad show up in the iTunes sidebar under Devices? Yes or No

2. If yes to #1, do all your contacts show up when you use your browser to log in to www.icloud.com as in the screenshot below? Yes or No

3. If yes to #2, when your iPad is connected to the Internet, do you see any of your contacts when you start up the Contacts app (on the iPad)? Yes or No
Attachments
iCloud.com.jpg
iCloud.com.jpg (189.08 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Ray, sorry it's taken so long to get back on this I have had a busy first of the week. To answer your questions:
1) yes my iPad shows up on my Mac when I use the USB cord.
2)no all my contacts do not show up when I use the browser to sign into http://www.icloud.com
3)yes when my iPad is connected to the internet and I open the contacts app I see some of the contact list but still not all of it.

I am actually missing full sections, example; I skip from "B" to "H" and I actually have enteries in "D", "F","G". Any other suggestions?
IN GOD WE TRUST

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Steve, I am trying to follow Ray's instructions and think I am doing it correctly.

By the way I also have good e-mail address fill in by typing the first letter of the name I want to send to---ON MY MAC---NOT MY iPad as I explained in the first question.

I hope my contact list transfere would fix the problem but I still haven't got the contacts to move.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Ray, when I unplugged my iPad from the Mac just now the devices area went away. Why won't it show up through the bluetooth function?
IN GOD WE TRUST

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 pm

First make sure you are not syncing via iTunes. See above.

This looks like a good step-by-step explanation of how to set the prefs in Address Book and System Preferences:
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2771

Here's Apple's troubleshooting page:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3998

Here's a page showing how to make sure iCloud is your default in Address Book:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/tips/c ... to-icloud/

If you end up with duplicates, here's a step-by-step solution:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3767239
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks Steve, but because I am such a novice some of the web pages just confuse me. Ray was doing step by step instruction that was easy for me to follow. If we don't get it worked out perhaps I will try the web sights. As I said before the box that needed to be checked to sync through iTunes was not checked. I assume that means I will not be syncing through iTunes.
IN GOD WE TRUST