Announcement

There will be no dues for 2018 until further notice, and all meetings in 2018 will be in Sequim!

Note: This Announcement can be dismissed by clicking the (magically appearing) X in the top right corner of this box.

Need Quicken 2005

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Need Quicken 2005

Post by anne murray » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I've ordered a new computer and need to upgrade my 2003 Quicken to 2005 in order to be able to install the Lion compatible version. I have not found a source to purchase the 2005 version. May I buy, beg or borrow the installation disk for Quicken 2005 from anyone?

Many thanks.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Need Quicken 2005

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't use Quicken but have you tried eBay? Maybe someone on this forum has the disk for you but if not I'll bet there's someone on eBay ready to sell it to you.

Another possibility would be to send an email to Quicken customer service explaining the problem. Ask them for a 2005 version so you can do the upgrade to the Lion version. You might even scan and attach the receipt for the Lion version so they know you bought it. The worst thing that can happen would be for them to say no.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Note that Quicken patched 2007 for Lion, but has made no commitment to updating it in the future. I suspect they will add some or all of the "missing" features to Quicken Essentials, which is a complete rewrite.

This discussion says two relevant things, so it's worth reading through:

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/d ... b1eJfaade6

1. Quicken does not support any conversion of Q2003 data to Q2007, so if something gets corrupted, you're on your own.

(However, this Quicken page specifically notes the intermediate-version method.)

2. One poster found that Q2007 opened his Q2003 files. He then quit Q2007 and it saved the files in a converted format.

Here's Quicken's page on the Quicken File Exchange Utility, which will convert your file to Quicken Essentials. I used this when converting from Q2007 to QE. I think there was some glitch because we had some entries with bad dates on them, but eventually got everything straightened out.

We've found QE to do everything we need, and, with a couple of exceptions, it works much better than Q2007 ever did.

There's a very extensive discussion of QE and Q2007 and Quicken Alternatives on Macintouch. While some people were satisfied with other products, I didn't see any compelling evidence for switching.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:08 am

I may be able to supply the disk you need. Will have to check at home.

anne murray
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by anne murray » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks to Steve, Richard and Jerry for your comments. After Steve's post I did some further probing and ordered Quicken 2007 (old version) based upon this comment from Intuit. Hope that works for me.

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/a ... CgeJe_a0eh

Anne

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:59 pm

So your plan is to do the Quicken 2003 --> Quicken 2007 transition on your old MacBook, then copy the file to your new MacBook Air?

Then you'll have to use either the new Quicken 2007 for Lion or Quicken Essentials. Essentials will still require you to convert the file again.
I haven't seen any news about whether either or both work well in Mountain Lion.

If I were you, and I needed the features of Quicken 2007 and earlier, I'd keep the old MacBook around and just use that for monthly bills, at least until I was completely comfortable with Quicken Essentials.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs