DVD's play, CD's don't

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
cburres
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: DVD's play, CD's don't

Post by cburres » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:25 pm

The computer is an iMac 7,1 and I'm not sure what year we got it. It's been a good machine to use. The idea of an external drive appeals to me a lot as it could be used whenever we might have a problem in the future. Any advice out there on which are best and most reliable?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Other World Computing has always been reliable for drives, etc. The have an external CD/DVD drive for around $60.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/VLU2SD24XLS/

The Apple external USB Superdrive is about $75.
http://tinyurl.com/7dx3xv8
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:57 pm

I also looked at OWC, which is where I always buy external hard drives.
The quad-interface Blu-Ray drives are a bit pricey, but as I said, I think you could replace the DVD mechanism in the future.

However, I suspect that there'll be Thunderbolt externals in a year or so, if you can wait.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am

Another tack is mentioned in this Macintouch posting.
If you do try out an external player not specifically advertised to be Mac compatible, make sure you can return it to the store. Mostly such devices are talking about their included software when they mention OS compatibility. But they might require drivers.
Michael Corbin
Wandering through the local Best Buy, I noticed an LG BPO6 "Portable Super Multi Blue Rewriter" on the shelf for $89.99. This is a single/double layer BlueRay/DVD/CD burner that claimed to require Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows XP SP3, and while no mention was made of Macs, there was the promise that "use of any other software than that included could result in incompatibilites in read or write."
Having had success in the past with such devices, I brought it home and just got done testing it's ability to read Mac formatted DVDs and to burn a single-layer (25 GB) BlueRay disk. It appears to be fully compatible with Toast Titanium 11 for burning and to read audio CDs, DVD-Rs, and my first BlueRay disk. For all practical purposes, on my 2.4GHz MacBook Pro under OS X 10.6.8, it is plug and play.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs