DVD's play, CD's don't

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
cburres
Forum Member
Forum Member

DVD's play, CD's don't

Post by cburres » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

I tried a CD and it wouldn't work. I tried several and none would read just a few noises and popped back out. I looked for help online and tried a few things. Then thought to put a DVD in and they work fine. CD''s still won't read. Thanks for any help on this.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: DVD's play, CD's don't

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:14 pm

What kind of CDs are we talking about? Movies? Photo collections? Auto manuals? Old software?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

cburres
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cburres » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Music, tried two different ones, Spanish language disk which worked on our identical computer.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:24 pm

If you have two identical computers and CDs play in one but not the other it could be a dirty lens on the drive or the drive itself is defective. DVDs generally are a little thicker than CDs and it's reasonable that your drive could be able to read a DVD and not a CD. As a first troubleshooting step I would buy a CD/DVD drive cleaning kit from Staples or other computer store $10-$15.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

cburres
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cburres » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 pm

I used the drive cleaner that we have had in the house that we have used in our CD player. It has a series of tiny brushes across it. Nothing else. Do they have kits with more material? I'll check online for answer to that. I used it several times.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:10 am

cburres wrote:I used the drive cleaner that we have had in the house that we have used in our CD player. It has a series of tiny brushes across it. Nothing else. Do they have kits with more material? I'll check online for answer to that. I used it several times.
You're supposed to slightly moisten one of those brushes with alcohol, at least in the kits I've seen.

Here's another tack:
Using the Mac which plays the CD, make a copy. Try the copy in the Mac that doesn't play the CD.
In iTunes, first set Preferences > General > Import Settings to AIFF
Make a playlist
Insert the CD, then select and drag all the tracks to the playlist. Make sure they're in the right order.
Finally, burn the playlist.

It might also be interesting to look in About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Disc Burning and see if both Macs have the same model.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:17 am

If this problem happens with EVERY CD and not just a defective, wrong format or scratched CD I doubt this is a software issue as it's difficult to remove or damage drivers with the newer OS. I'm thinking the drive itself is defective. The difficulties of replacing the drive depend on the model of Mac you are using. If the Mac is new and under Apple warranty it's time to call Apple.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

cburres
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cburres » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks for all the replies. I suspect Jay is right. I'll work around it using other devices in the house as as soon as we spent a bunch of money on it we'd likely have other problems show up. I just hope it will still burn some movies I have ready to DVD disks.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:17 pm

What model Mac is having the issue? A USB external drive might be an alternative if you use the drive a lot.
-----------------

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Jay Cline wrote:What model Mac is having the issue? A USB external drive might be an alternative if you use the drive a lot.
Furthermore, a good-quality external CD/DVD writer reader burner will be a good investment in the long run if you anticipate continuing to make discs. Macs probably won't have optical drives for long. Also, the tray-loading drives inside the external would be cheap and easy to upgrade in the future. It look like the better drives are BluRay now, so more expensive.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs