iTunes Tip: Extract Audio from Video

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iTunes Tip: Extract Audio from Video

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Sometimes you may want to create an audio version of a video.
For example, maybe you have a lecture video, and the only images are of a professor at a podium looking thoughtful. Some universities post lectures to iTunes in video only.
If you're listening on an audio-only iPod, or if you want to save storage space on your iPhone, you might want to extract the audio.

In the past, I've done this with QuickTime. The new QuickTime X does this easily. And QuickTime 7 can delete a video track and save as audio only. But that's a lot of steps.

I think I've railed about this in the past on this forum: Why isn't this easy in iTunes?

Well, a tip I read in Macworld magazine today at the library that shows me the light: It is easy in iTunes.

Select the video in iTunes
Choose iTunes > Advanced and you'll notice that Create AAC Version* will be grayed out, therefore unavailable. (This is where I got stuck in the past.)

But here's the brilliant tip:
Select the video in iTunes
Hold down the option key and choose iTunes > Advanced and you'll notice that Create AAC Version* will be available.
Voila!

* The file type, AAC, MP3, etc., will depend on your Import settings.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs