pictures feature

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
errolloving
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

pictures feature

Post by errolloving » Sat May 12, 2012 8:57 am

What is the exact function of "Pictures" in finder---seems to me--(what do I know) it just duplicates the library feature of iPhoto??

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: pictures feature

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat May 12, 2012 9:37 am

A user's Pictures Folder does, in fact, contain the iPhoto Library folder. That folder contains all the files used by iPhoto, including all original unedited photos and thumbnail versions of all photos.

iPhoto can then access those files to provide the structure, and organization you see in iPhoto ... for purposes of viewing, editing, as well as creating slideshows, albums, calendars, cards, etc.

I also use the Pictures Folder to store graphic files that are not photos, such as logos, screenshots, scans, etc. (see screenshot)

;)
Attachments
Pictures.jpg
Pictures.jpg (152.13 KiB) Viewed 495 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Sat May 12, 2012 9:38 am

errolloving wrote:What is the exact function of "Pictures" in finder---seems to me--(what do I know) it just duplicates the library feature of iPhoto??
If you're taking about the item in the Finder sidebar, it doesn't duplicate anything. Pictures is the folder where iPhoto stores its library.

The items under Favorites in the Finder sidebar are not commands. They are pointers (or aliases) to folders or other locations that you are likely to visit often. Clicking on Pictures just opens the Pictures folder. It saves you the trouble of having to navigate the path /Users/YOUR NAME/Pictures.

And Pictures isn't just for the iPhoto library. Any software can store files there if it makes sense to. I have some scanner software that stores it's images there.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 12, 2012 6:33 pm

As Rick notes, Pictures is merely a default folder with a special icon.
Aperture and iPhoto store their libraries there by default, but otherwise you can treat it like any other folder.
Attachments
pictures.jpg
pictures.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 488 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs