iOS 5.1.1

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iOS 5.1.1

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Apple/Security

Apple today posted iOS 5.1.1 (available only through iTunes) to security flaws and other bugs affecting iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch models. Bugs include 2G-3G network switching problems on the new iPad; an HDR photo problem (with lock screen shortcut); AirPlay video playback problems; "unable to purchase" alert problems; and others. Patched security vulnerabilities are listed as follows:

A maliciously crafted website may be able to spoof the address in the location bar
Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to a cross- site scripting attack
Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
Thanks Macintouch!

Note that if you have your iPhone/iPad connected when you tell iTunes to download the update you may see this:
5hrs.jpg
5hrs.jpg (5.94 KiB) Viewed 429 times
In past instances, I've just unplugged my iPhone and gone about my business. The update will download and then be available for installation. This is clearly an area where iTunes could be much clearer. Note that the time remaining may fall precipitously, at the beginning, maybe an hour for each 5 minutes of real time.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs