How can I get totally rid of Carbonite?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Gary Velie
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

How can I get totally rid of Carbonite?

Post by Gary Velie » Fri May 04, 2012 8:45 am

When I retired, I switched to MAC. (I am never going back!) I also kept Carbonite as my source to backup my hard drive. When I finally got smarter, I purchased a large external hard drive, and connected it to my wireless router, and started using Time machine. I let my Carbonite subscription lapse. I tried to uninstall Carbonite and opened Finder and then dragged Carbonite from the Applications to the Trash.
The little lock on the top bar now shows a red X.
Now the bad part. It is not gone. I keep getting interrupted by a dialog that tells me that I have a configuration error. I have to x it out to get back to work. How can I get this totally off of my iMac?

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: How can I get totally rid of Carbonite?

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 am

Read this:

http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answe ... -carbonite

However, here are the steps to finish your "manual uninstall":

http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answe ... hYaw%3D%3D

As with many Mac applications, there are several "helper files" that must also be deleted to completely uninstall this application.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 am

Not too long ago I gave a SMUG demo on backup strategies, hardware and software. First of all let me commend you for making a backup of your data on an external hard drive. All hard drives will fail (it's just a matter of time) so someday when your Mac's internal drive goes south you'll breathe easier knowing all your files are still available on your external drive.

But what about a catastrophe such as your house burning down or an earthquake that destroys all you have? What will you do then when you absolutely MUST get your hands on those financial files to document your purchases for you insurance claim? What about burglars who will take not only your Mac but all your peripheral equipment like your external drive? The point I'm getting to is it's smart to have an external hard drive copy of your critical files and it's even smarter to have a copy of those same files off site. That's what you were doing with Carbonite.

I'd recommend that you reconsider dropping your Carbonite account. Reinstate it at the lowest volume level (least expensive subscription) so only your critical files are stored on the Carbonite server. You can always replace your Mac. You can always buy new software. What you can't buy anywhere are your critical files. Those should be stored on your external drive as well as with a company such as Carbonite.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Gary Velie
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Gary Velie » Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Thank you for the assistance. The manual uninstall worked fine. Richard, I will give some consideration to renewing my Carbonite for the reason that you stated of not surviving a catastrophic event or major theft.

Thank you all again. You guys make the annual dues very worth while.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 pm

An alternative is to buy another big, external hard drive, make a clone and keep that drive off site.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri May 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:An alternative is to buy another big, external hard drive, make a clone and keep that drive off site.
Really? Are you suggesting he get up every morning and go to that alternate site where he stores his external drive, bring it home, make copies of the changed files and then take it back to the alternate site to put the drive back in storage? And he should do this daily? Actually, it should be done before he goes to bed to protect that day's work so he'd be doing all this driving around late at night. I think renting space on another server such as Carbonite is a lot more practical.

Your suggestion reminds of what a previous wife of mine said to me in the late '60s when there was an announced increase in the price of first class postage. She thought we should go out and buy a bunch of stamps right then and there before the price increase took place. :shock:
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat May 05, 2012 7:10 am

Stephen Hart wrote:An alternative is to buy another big, external hard drive, make a clone and keep that drive off site.
That's the backup solution for the company I work for. 77 publications, someone takes the backup drive home every night. Sigh.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Really? Are you suggesting he get up every morning and go to that alternate site where he stores his external drive, bring it home, make copies of the changed files and then take it back to the alternate site to put the drive back in storage?
No. I keep a clone off site that I refresh every few weeks. I also have a clone at home and a Time Machine drive.

Given that our house was broken into once--all my computer equipment was stolen--I'm pretty sensitive to potential data loss.

Offsite storage is fine, if you trust that the company providing the service will be in business next year or the one after that. (Cloud storage is a very volatile business just now.) But you can't back up everything to offsite, you have to choose only the most important files. That strategy has always bothered me. Murphey's Law says that when you do lose data, the files you chose not to back up (possibly by forgetting to include them) will turn out to the the ones you need and can't replace.
I like backups that are exact copies of everything: Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine. No third party involved. No compression scheme.

Since CCC can be scheduled, and since my wife goes to work every day, it would actually not be that much of a problem to switch clone drives more often.

You can, of course, drive yourself around the bend with a never-ending cascade of backups upon backups.

Just at the moment, I'm working without my iMac, starting up from a clone. Try that with Carbonite. (My iMac's in the Apple Store getting its hard drive evaluated.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat May 05, 2012 9:41 am

Refreshing an off site clone every few weeks doesn't seem practical to me. A lot of work can be lost in just a day, let alone a week, let alone every few weeks. The chances of having your house burn down or burgled AND an off site server storage company going belly up simultaneously is pretty low.
---