External Hard Drive

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

External Hard Drive

Post by Photo Jeanne » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 am

I have an external hard drive that was originally formatted for a PC (I know, Yuk). I find that even though it is now hooked up to my Mac, I can't save files to it any longer. There is about 95% free space on the little sucker and I'd sure like to be able to use it. Can I move everything currently on it, mostly photos, and reformat the drive for Mac use? And how would I go about doing something like that? I have a Time Machine that I use for backing up both my Mac and my husband's Mac, hence I don't need to use the other drive for backups at all. I'd just like to store photos on it and know where to find them. Suggestions???

Thanks

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: External Hard Drive

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 pm

This is a pretty straight forward procedure. So here we go:

1. Copy all data from the external drive to a safe place. You're going to reformat the drive and that will erase everything on it.
2. Open Disk Utility which will be found in your Utilities folder.
3. Select the drive you want to reformat from the column on the left side. Make damn sure you don't select Macintosh HD.
4. Click the Erase tab on the top.
5. In the format window select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
6. Click the Erase... button in the lower right-hand corner.

When finished your external drive will have been reformatted as a Mac drive. Copy your data back to the external drive and you're good to go. As to why you can't save to it now while it's still formatted for Windows (DOS Fat32) I'm not sure. Mac can read and write to a DOS formatted drive so something is going on. But since you're using the external drive as an extension of your Mac I wouldn't even worry about it.
Attachments
reformat.jpg
reformat.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 418 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: External Hard Drive

Post by Photo Jeanne » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I knew someone would know how to fix it....