Lexmark Printer Problems

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Lexmark Printer Problems

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 pm

We've been experiencing problems communicating with our Lexmark X4875 Printer/fax/scanner/copier.

At first my wife's 13 MBP was wi-fi communicating with it. Then she mistakenly downloaded Lexmark update 2.4(?) and all communication stopped. Several folks here helped us get it back on line. My ten year old Dell has no problems communicating via wi-fi to the printer. (The Dell is, however, hardwired to the router, the 13"MBP is not.)

Now we have my new 15" MBP with Lion and late last night I figured out how to recognize the Lexmark... only problems it won't print because it's getting a message that the printer is out of ink.

With the Dell PC a box would appear saying "Ink is low". But I could hit the "Continue" button and it would force the print.

So, today Barb purchased new ink cartridges and I installed them, then aborted the ink wasting, "Set up" page. Still getting message of "Printer Out of Ink". So I thought maybe there'a a software "catch" that you have to use the ink wasting set up page for the error message to clear. So I printed two set up pages. One was great, the second had some errors but the printer said all was fine.

I still get "Printer Out of Ink" message. I turned the printer off, then on, but still, same message.

So, two fancy, wish filled Macs that can't communicate with the printer but a 10 year old PC desktop can.

Exasperation!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Lexmark Printer Problems

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 pm

In general, the first approach is to delete the printer in System Preferences > Print&Scan, then add it back again.

However, note that printer drivers are the responsibility of the manufacturer. Apple invites them to distribute driver updates by way of Software Update, but it's up to the manufacturer to do so.

We've dumped two HP printers only a few years old recently because HP never updated the drivers for Lion.

You might want to go the manufacturer's web site and check on your specific model.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 pm

I've gone to Lexmark site and downloaded latest drivers and wifi info. They use a 10.6+ driver labeled as 10.7 and a new wi-fi update. Listing the printer by its "address" was the only way I could get the Mac to recognize it. But as noted a "Printer out of ink" message appears and it will not continue. But the PC is not so effected.

briant30
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by briant30 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 pm

i can't download latest drivers form the lexmark site.. my browser wont let me.. what could be causing this.... really need to update since i have changed my ink..
Last edited by briant30 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 pm

briant30 wrote:i can't download latest drivers form the lexmark site.. my browser wont let me.. what could be causing this.... really need to update since i have changed my ink..
Please be more specific in terms of "my browser wont (sic) let me." What happens? Are there any error messages displayed on the screen? Have you tried using a different browser?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.