Need Facebook Advice

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Need Facebook Advice

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I see Robbie has a FB page: http://www.facebook.com/Wajurgmitr

Stephen Hart already has a Facebook page:

Stephen Hart (1866–1952) was the Bishop of Wangaratta in the Church of England in Australia (now the Anglican Church of Australia).

You might also be the Stephen Hart who played in the Trinidad and Tobago Professional Football League before turning out for the San Fernando Strikers.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:19 am

Macintouch has been running reader reports about LinkedIn, once touted as the professional's version of Facebook*. The complaints relate to Address Book harvesting, inability to quit a membership, spam, etc.

For example:
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports ... d19mar2012

*I've never joined either FaceBook or LinkedIn, but back when I was actively writing for money, other science writers I interacted with in fora insisted that you had to be a member of LinkedIn in this modern era.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Another reason to avoid FaceBook:
The company’s use of analytic software to compile photographic archives of human faces, based on photos uploaded by Facebook’s members, has been controversial in Europe, where data protection laws require people to give their explicit consent to the practice.

Instead of using such an opt-in system, Facebook assumes people will want to use facial recognition and requires them to opt out instead.
What FaceBook does is ask members to "tag" faces in group photos (for example) with a name. It then establishes a face-recognition database. This could all go on without your knowledge or consent if you're in any photo ever uploaded to FaceBook.
Face recognition in Aperture and iPhoto is cool, but spotty in its accuracy. It'll even identify rocks as faces sometimes. Because it's so faceless, FaceBook has much less motivation to be sure its software is accurate.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:02 am

This is an interesting column about FaceBook's latest shenanigans: "Facebook's new business plan: from utility to monopoly"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... y-monopoly

I find this all really depressing. Back in the day, AltaVista and other companies sought to be your one entry point to the web. But FaceBook wants "the web" to be entirely proprietary, disempowering us all.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 am

I started this thread quite some time ago so I guess I should report what I've done. I've done nothing. I keep reading about all the ways Facebook invades your privacy even if you activate all the privacy options. Too many bad things have happened on Facebook although many of the problems must be laid squarely at the feet of the account holder. After reading some of the Facebook horror stories I've asked myself why in the world would someone do that?

So I don't have a Facebook account nor do I have a Twitter account. And the companies that insist I have an account to do business with them will just lose my business. This hurts me more than it hurts them but I'm not about to get caught up in some Facebook debacle.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Here's some advice for those who are on FaceBook in light of their new privacy antiprivacy rules:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/techn ... ok.html?hp
http://nyti.ms/14SX4aO
And another on how many FaceBook users "take a break." It reads almost like a story about an addictive drug.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/0 ... technology
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=128462

It contains this: "another 20 percent of Facebook users admitted to deleting their accounts," but I've read elsewhere that Facebook only allows you to suspend your account. There is no Delete.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:20 am

More reasons not to like Facebook and Android:

Facebook wants to be the OS, starting with "Home." Guess why they want a Facebook app on all the time and interfacing with all your other apps. This is on Android specifically because Google doesn't restrict what apps can and can't do.
SUMMARY:
Facebook’s history as a repeat offender on privacy, and playing loose and easy with our data means that need to be even more vigilant about privacy issues, thanks to this Home app/faux-OS.
http://gigaom.com/2013/04/04/why-facebo ... f-privacy/
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:10 am

If you are among Facebook’s 1.2 billion users, the company says, you are automatically consenting to such social ads. Opting out is impossible for some ads, and for others, the control to stop them is buried deep within the service’s privacy settings.
Facebook Deal on Privacy Is Under Attack - New York Times>
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:56 pm

[creepy-shivery emoticon]
Think your friends know you well? Researchers have developed a computer model that can judge someone’s personality more accurately than their friends and family — using nothing but the subject’s Facebook activity.
Facebook Knows You Better Than Anyone Else

So does that mean that no one knows me because I don't have a Facebook account?

Of course an important point here is what is "someone's personality"?
The scientific psychology publication (available free here) has this to say:
"Personality traits, like many other psychological dimensions, are latent and cannot be measured directly" and "We adopted the realistic approach, which assumes that personality traits represent real individual characteristics, and "the accuracy of personality judgments may be benchmarked using three key criteria: self-other agreement, interjudge agreement, and external validity."

Ah, those psychologists!
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:59 am

I don't have anything weighty or new to add to this thread but my response to all this is that most people are sweating this way too much. I have had a Facebook account for many years. I virtually never post anything on it. I go there and look at what other people (friends I know) are doing. If I think it might help the world in any way I might "like" something that they post. I virtually never post anything myself. When my recent movies were released, I put up a notice about those on Facebook and many people viewed the films because my friends did and, after they "liked" the films, then their friends also did. I don't think this is a big deal.

My dad was a doctor. When a patient would come him to him and say that something hurt when he did "that." My dad would always say, "Well, don't do that." As Richard notes, the stories you read are about people who posted this or that and it came back to bite them. My advice is... don't post that stuff.