Need Facebook Advice

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Need Facebook Advice

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:43 am

JerryFreilich wrote: My dad was a doctor. When a patient would come him to him and say that something hurt when he did "that." My dad would always say, "Well, don't do that." As Richard notes, the stories you read are about people who posted this or that and it came back to bite them. My advice is... don't post that stuff.
Did your dad ever treat my Ex? She used to complain that after eating green beans she'd get painful flatulence so she decided to go to a doc for that. He told her not to eat green beans and charged her for a visit. She complained that he hadn't done anything but I told her he had given her his time and opinion and that's what docs get paid to do.

Of course I had given her the same advice but coming from me didn't count. I was only one of those psychologists that Stephen Hart likes to belittle. When you go crackers Stephen, don't come to me for relief! :D
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Need Facebook Advice

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:47 am

More Facebook:

One criminal, or at least rotten, thing that someone can do on Facebook is to set up an account to impersonate someone else. They can then use that as a platform to eventually try to get money from people they contact. I guess this is a sort of phishing, but it seems worse to me.

The only way to report such impersonation, apparently, is to log on to the impersonator's page, then there's a button you can click to report abuse. But the impersonator can block the person they're impersonating.

In this case, the person being impersonated, a linguistics professor at U. Penn, contributes to a widely read blog. One commenter on his post about this situation says she works at Facebook and will fix the issue.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=17442
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs