Verizon Cell Phone Internet?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Verizon Cell Phone Internet?

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 pm

One of our some-time-ago members called me with the following problem: He has an iMac G5 running Leopard. But he lives in Joyce and cannot get cable or DSL service. So he purchased a cell-phone access device from Verizon (I think it was made by Samsung) and tried to make it work. He spent many hours on the phone with tech support at Verizon who could not get it to work and who told him that their devices would only work with Intel Macs. Does this sound right to you?? And is there a known cell-phone modem you know of that would solve this guy's problem?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Verizon Cell Phone Internet?

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Going to need more info. Did he purchase a Verizon MiFi?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:15 pm

After some hours with Verizon Wireless Tech Support they concluded that an Intel chip was needed so he returned the entire product and at the moment has nothing. The question is... is there ANY device that a person with Verizon cell phone service can buy from ANY source that will provide internet service to an iMac G5 running Leopard?

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 pm

A Verizon MiFi will work. It provides wifi access for up to 5 devices. Pricey tho.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Your friend needs to consider a satellite ISP. It's pricey compared to DSL or cable but that's about his only choice living in Joyce. There are two major satellite ISPs. HughesNet and WildBlue.

HughesNet monthly rates start at $59.99 after the dish and modem are installed. I don't know what WildBlue would charge.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:25 pm

The gentleman was told that the Verizon MiFi equipment requires an Intel processor and although their website says only "Mac OS 10.4 or higher" ... I called Verizon tech support and a representative checked into this and came back and told me that in fact, an Intel Mac is required. I was posting here because I wonder if anyone else in the club has encountered this limitation. Or if anyone else in the club is using a Verizon WiFi or MiFi device?

I think in his situation with two older iMacs that the solution is going to be that he has to purchase a newer machine. I can't see spending $500 to get satellite equipment just to keep some older computers running... Others' comments on this situation would be appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:46 pm

You're so right Jerry.

I looked into satellite once, and not only was it expensive, but also the dish is huge, not at all like the current Dish Network TV dishes. And you need a location that looks southeast. That could require a pole or a roof mount, which may require special framing.

An intel mini, or a 21" iMac would be a huge boon by themselves.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4

Post by Jay Cline » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:19 pm

JerryFreilich wrote:The gentleman was told that the Verizon MiFi equipment requires an Intel processor and although their website says only "Mac OS 10.4 or higher" ... I called Verizon tech support and a representative checked into this and came back and told me that in fact, an Intel Mac is required. I was posting here because I wonder if anyone else in the club has encountered this limitation. Or if anyone else in the club is using a Verizon WiFi or MiFi device?

I think in his situation with two older iMacs that the solution is going to be that he has to purchase a newer machine. I can't see spending $500 to get satellite equipment just to keep some older computers running... Others' comments on this situation would be appreciated.
Curious, was that the USB MiFi or the standalone MiFi? Guessing VZAccess Manager is Intel only and it needs the Intel OS to run the first time setup and activation. After that they are simple wifi hotspots which don't care what OS is using them. Set it up using an Intel Mac for him. He won't like paying for internet service through a cellular data plan. DSL is available to Freshwater Bay residents, still not available to the Joyce area? The MiFi shown below is a wifi hotspot for up to 5 computers. Fits in the palm of your hand.
Attachments
MiFi_200px.png
MiFi_200px.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
-----------------

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Jay Cline wrote:
JerryFreilich wrote:The gentleman was told that the Verizon MiFi equipment requires an Intel processor and although their website says only "Mac OS 10.4 or higher" ... I called Verizon tech support and a representative checked into this and came back and told me that in fact, an Intel Mac is required. I was posting here because I wonder if anyone else in the club has encountered this limitation. Or if anyone else in the club is using a Verizon WiFi or MiFi device?

Curious, was that the USB MiFi or the standalone MiFi? Guessing VZAccess Manager is Intel only and it needs the Intel OS to run the first time setup and activation. After that they are simple wifi hotspots which don't care what OS is using them. Set it up using an Intel Mac for him. He won't like paying for internet service through a cellular data plan. DSL is available to Freshwater Bay residents, still not available to the Joyce area? The MiFi shown below is a wifi hotspot for up to 5 computers. Fits in the palm of your hand.
Jay is right. I have a MiFi, and it should work fine with any computer that supports WiFi once it is set up. The problem is that it requires a USB connection and Verizon Access manager in order to set it up. VZ Access Manager must not be a universal application. I haven't had to use Verizon Access Manager since the time that I first set it up. Someone else could set it up for him on their computer, then he should be good to go. That said, I think he should just go out and get a new Mac.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:24 pm

rickj wrote:That said, I think he should just go out and get a new Mac.
Or even a used intel Mac, though you'd want to look at the price with a critical eye.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs