Exposé - F11 key does nothing

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Exposé - F11 key does nothing

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:36 am

I just decided to become clear on Exposé because I am tired of struggling with multiple wondows covering each other up. I wanted to see what improvement could be had via Exposé.

So I went to "My New Mac", Snow Leopard Edition by Wallace Wang. (I run 10.6.8. 10.6.8 = Snow Leopard, right?)

It said that F11 key toggles between hiding and exposing active windows.
I tested this on my own computer and on Erv's. Neither does anything other than show the volume control decrease.

I went to System Prefs and looked at Exposé. It seems set for F11 to do what book says it should so I am puzzled.
Attaching screen shot of Expos´window.
Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 9.45.14 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 9.45.14 AM.png (185.96 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Exposé - F11 key does nothing

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:54 am

I'm using Lion, but look for the equivalent of System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard. See image.

I have my Mac set up this way because I use the F keys with QuicKeys to get customized functions. To get all the functions labelled on the keyboard, including Expose, I use fn+F key.

You can also invoke Expose from the Dock.

Also note that the F key assigned to functions like this can be changed in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. And, the labeling on the keyboard itself may not match what the OS has set by default in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.
(In Lion, you can also set up Mission Control, Expose's successor, to work like a second desktop, and just swipe with a Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.)

Note that there are two related functions here. One is separate desktops. You can have different apps assigned to different desktops and switch between them. The other is Expose, which shrinks and spreads out all your windows so you can easily find and switch to windows hidden under other windows.
Attachments
usefkeys.jpg
usefkeys.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 481 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Exposé - F11 key does nothing

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:37 am

Bingo!

"Use all F1, F2 etc keys as standard function keys" was not checked off.
As soon as I did that it worked. :D

Thank you, Stephen.