Playing with Refining Finder

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Playing with Refining Finder

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:00 pm

After Richard's presentation last night I was inspired to once again visit my Finder settings as I've done after each of Jerry's presentations. (Funny how I learn something new and important each time. I appreciate the presentations. Thanks for a good one, Richard.)

I explored without a problem until I got to wanting to check on options for Sidebar.
My notes seem to indicate that I should go to Systems Preferences, select "General" and proceed from there.
I see no such category - maybe my notes are faulty, but I am pretty sure Richard said System Prefs for the sidebar and I've checked on all the categories available - none relate to sidebar that I can see.
I'm using OSX 10.6.8
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-02 at 12.19.47 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-02 at 12.19.47 PM.png (103.58 KiB) Viewed 1271 times

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Playing with Refining Finder

Post by Bob Wiswell » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 pm

It is in Finder Preferences and not in System Preferences. In the Finder Menu line, at the top or the screen, click on Finder and drop down to Preferences and then click on the Sidebar tab that shows in the window.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar

You can also drag items to the Sidebar or command drag items off the sidebar.

And, as I'm sure Richard mentioned, the Finder Toolbar functions similarly to the Sidebar, in that you can place often-visited files or folders there.

Note that you needn't restrict yourself to arranging the Sidebar or the Finder Toolbar once and for all. I often put a project folder in the Finder Toolbar, then drag it off when I'm done with that project.
Attachments
sidebar.jpg
sidebar.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks, Bob and Richard,

I located and made a couple of useful changes.
Thanks, Stephen for mentioning about "Command drag" for getting things off the sidebar. I had forgotten how to do that and was desperately trying to get a couple of things off.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Kirsten, I was making reference to changing the size of the icons in Finder. For some strange reason, in OS 10.7.2 (which I was using for the demo) the way to select the size of the Sidebar icons in Finder is to leave Finder and go to Systems Preferences. I notice in the screenshot you posted that you don't have a General category. Are you using 10.7.x or an earlier version of the OS?

OK, I just reread your original post and you're using OS 10.6.8. I can't remember if you're able to change the Sidebar size in OS 10.6.x.

Start with Systems Preferences...Then go to General...Then select the size you want. I prefer Large.

SysPref.jpg
SysPref.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Attachments
Size.jpg
Size.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:30 pm

I noticed that General in the 10.7 System Prefs and Appearance in 10.6.8 System Prefs have the same icon. And after poking around in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ (kids, don't try this at home!), I noticed that under 10.7, there is no General.prefPane file, but there is an Appearance.prefPane file. My guess is that Apple just renamed Appearance to General in Lion, and that if you click on the Appearance icon in Snow Leopard you would see something similar to what Richard showed in his post. I didn't feel like rebooting into Snow Leopard to test this theory out, so it's just a theory at the moment.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Let's not forget that a lot of the code for Lion is really Snow Leopard. That's why you had to have Snow Leopard on your HD before you could upgrade to Lion.

This leaves some strange artifacts. I still have icons and references to MobileMe on my HD even though I migrated to iCloud early on. My guess is that people who bought a Mac after Lion was released and didn't have a MobileMe account won't have these obsolete icons because they never had Snow Leopard on their Macs.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

I just discovered that this thread was continued.

My "Appearance" is very much like Richard's "General" - except for the sidebar icon size... :o

Icon size on my sidebar is okay as is. I was just playing with stuff and have made some other good little changes inspired by Riuchard's (excellent) presentation.
Thanks for input. I attach a screenshot of my "Appearance" just to show the difference.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-10 at 3.17.47 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-10 at 3.17.47 PM.png (85.83 KiB) Viewed 1247 times