Mac Track Pad

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Mac Track Pad

Post by Photo Jeanne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:18 pm

My old PC Mouse is slowing dying. I'm considering a Track Pad. Does anyone have any info about using this device versus a mouse? I understand they work kinda like my iPad. Yes? Let me know, OK?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mac Track Pad

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm

I have a Magic Trackpad, and like it a lot for certain tasks. But I wouldn't replace a mouse with a trackpad except when using a MacBook away from a desk.
The Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad coexist perfectly, and it's often handy to have an alternative pointing device right at hand (so to speak :D ).
There is some potential confusion, though. Some one-finger gestures on the Magic Mouse require two fingers on the Magic Trackpad. (Also 2 vs 3.)
And the Magic Trackpad requires some learning to do a click, hold and move. You need to learn a tap and a half, where you don't lift your finger after the second downward tap.

If you were normally using a MacBook Pro and nearly never used a mouse with it, then you'd be able to use the Magic Trackpad alone in a desktop situation happily, I think.

Bottom line: I've tried various pointing devices for general Mac use, and always return to a mouse, usually set to one-button function. That's not great for drawing, but for nearly everything else, the mouse beats everything. Thank you Doug Engelbart and Steve Jobs, who insisted that the Apple Mouse be reliable, cheap and have only one button (at least at first).
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 am

I agree with everything Stephen said... well put! I have heard several of our club members praising the Magic Trackpad and I won't be surprised to hear more comments on this topic from them.

Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Photo Jeanne » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 am

I came from a PC world where everything was left click and right click. I now am quite comfortable with an iPad and the swishes and clicks associated with it. I don't want to spend money on a track pad and be unhappy with it. Thanks for the input.

⛄