iCal - is it easy to share with spouse?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

iCal - is it easy to share with spouse?

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I looked a bit in iCal Help, but that didn't make me any wiser.

I have all our appmts on iCal on my computer.
I have been printing out copies for Erv with selected calendars included so he'd have hard copies of what he needed.

Now I am thinking that it would be nice to "export" these calendars directly to Ev's iCal so he can look without printed versions.
He is ready, but I don't know how to do it
and I don't want to do it if it is very complex and involves iCloud, Mobile Me, or other such off-site mysterious things.
I want to do it, if it is easy...

Is it?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iCal - is it easy to share with spouse?

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Is it easy to share with a spouse? Not really, but let's talk about iCal. :lol:

Are you using separate Macs? If so, just export the calendar to your desktop and then email it to him as an attachment. He can then import it into his Mac's iCal. After that he can keep his own calendar.

If you want to share the same calendar let us know. That's a different process.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you want to do, exactly, but we share iCal calendars among four Macs and an iPhone using MobileMe. If you already have MobileMe, you can continue to use it until June. Nowadays, you'd share calendars with iCloud, which is free.
On all of our Macs, the calendar pages look identical. We have one calendar for me, one for Karen and a "family" calendar. (We also have US Holidays.) We can distinguish among them because they're color coded.
On my iPhone, the calendars don't look exactly the same, but have all the same content.
We can add, change or delete any item on any of the Macs or my iPhone, and all others are updated pretty quickly. (This is very handy for adding an entry while on the go.)
You can choose to share or not share any given calendar. You can also choose to show or not show any calendar that's shared on a device.
Finally, we can access our calendars from any web-capable computer using MobileMe's web interface.

This works well for us, as Karen has an extensive calendar related to teaching at the college and related to playing in the PA Symphony.

Instructions to do this have changed with the introduction of iCloud, so I'll have to leave that to someone who has updated. Note that you need Lion on all Macs to use iCloud. If you can't update one of your Macs, there are other ways to share calendars.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 pm

A separate entry in this story, which I think would apply to iCloud as well as MobileMe:

Each device that's subscribed to calendar sharing has to be logged in to the service. If you change the password, which you should do sometimes, you need to make sure all the devices are using the new password.

We had an instance that really caused us to tear out our hair. What happened was that we forgot to update the password on one of our Macs. So it kept trying to log in with the wrong password. So MobileMe thought our account was under attack, and kept requiring us to change the password. Kind of Catch-22ish. Once we got them all on one password, the problem ceased.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you very much, Richard and Stephen, both, for responding to my question.

Very funny, Richard - re sharing... :lol:

:geek:
Back to serious: I understand responses from both of you (except for details about "programs" I haven't used and will not soon use, probably.
Our calendar needs are modest compared with yours, Stephen, but I am sure your info will be very useful to some others reading this thread.

I'll go with Richard's simple solution after which Erv and I can "share" to keep calendars up-to-date the same way we always have.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Just remember, if you both are using Lion you can each have a FREE iCloud account. You can set up your iCals to work in tandem so that any change on one automatically appears on the other. This is a lot handier than sending files back and forth or manually updating the other person's iCal.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Yes, Richard, I know there is a much easier way - but we haven't reached Lion yet! Still, I'm glad to know about the free iCloud account. In the meantime I'm still converting Appleworks documents to .pages and .numbers!

Therefore your poky method is just right for us - for now!