multiple copies of programs

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
errolloving
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

multiple copies of programs

Post by errolloving » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:08 pm

I have managed to download 3 copies of the same program--I need hints on how to delete 2 of them--any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: multiple copies of programs

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Much depends on what the application is, and whether you've installed it.

If you've merely downloaded a disk image multiple times, but haven't opened it and installed the app, you can just trash the disk image file. It would likely be in your Downloads folder or on the Desktop. (In fact, you can trash the disk image after you've successfully installed the app.)

If you've installed the app multiple times but always in a single location, each new installation should have merely overwritten the previous one, so you'd have only one.

If you've installed in different locations, you'll need to determine where the various copies are. Once that's done, make sure no instances of the app are running* and merely trash all but one copy. Or, if you're unsure where the one instance of the app should be, delete them all and download and install again, using the app's default location.

It's very likely that any support files: prefs (or plist) files, and support files, would merely get replaced in the appropriate default location, rather than duplicated. So I think you can ignore them.

Write in again if this is unclear, if I've missed the point or with further questions.

* Some apps allow opening of multiple instances of the same app. Mostly, this would not occur because you wouldn't have two instances of the app file to double click.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Stephen is always right on track... but let me add a few more comments. Assuming that you've actually installed software (as opposed to merely downloading the installer for it)... the chances are good that the actual location of that software is in the Applications Folder. At least it SHOULD be there. It's easy to see if this is the case by simply choosing "Applications" from the "Go" menu in the Finder. If it is not already set up that way, you should arrange the Applications Folder to display all the applications in Alphabetical Order. (With the Applications Folder open, choose "Show View Options" from the View Menu. Set it to display "By Name"). If the apps were installed there, you will see them and you can delete the extras.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

Don't try to remove apps on your own. Here's a utility called CleanApp that will do the job properly and it's only $7.50. I've included a link you can use to read about it. I've used it for years and it works flawlessly.

http://www.syniumsoftware.com/cleanapp/
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 pm

CleanApp's page says:
Have you become a hunter-gatherer in the digital age? Do you frequently download applications from the internet to test them and delete them afterwards?
I'd say that's a great reason to use a clean-up application. But to delete one app? And in this case, the original poster wants the app, just not the extra copies, so there's no reason to hunt down prefs files or application support files.

Any clean-up app must be used with care, even if it claims to be smart.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs