Minor puzzle in Numbers

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Minor puzzle in Numbers

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 pm

In Numbers Application:

I cannot figure out why in one cell my total calculation shows up with a comma to separate the thousands decimal from the hundreds decimal - in the cell just below it a calculation shows up without the comma, and the figures look very different to the eye because of the way they do not line up - even though they are in fact very close and should look that way.

Any ideas?

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Minor puzzle in Numbers

Post by rickj » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Kirsten Ruhl wrote:In Numbers Application:

I cannot figure out why in one cell my total calculation shows up with a comma to separate the thousands decimal from the hundreds decimal - in the cell just below it a calculation shows up without the comma, and the figures look very different to the eye because of the way they do not line up - even though they are in fact very close and should look that way.

Any ideas?
The formatting for the cells are probably set differently. To change the formatting for a single cell, select the cell, open the Inspector, and go to the cell inspector (fourth icon from the upper left- a little square with the number 42 in it). Choose the formatting to match the other cells.

To change the formatting for the whole column, click on the letter at the top of the column to select the column, then use the cell inspector to set the format.
Rick

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Minor puzzle in Numbers

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Thank you, Rick,

That did the trick in less than 2 minutes!
Looks much nicer - easier to read, too! :D