HELP! How manually enter acct starting balance?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

HELP! How manually enter acct starting balance?

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:01 pm

I am learning how to best use Quicken Essentials and deciding what I want to change about my previous Quicken organization before I start up for real.

I have successfully converted a 3-year Quicken 2006 datafile to a Quicken Essentials file.
I didn't especially like the way it worked with my subcategories and sub-subcategories.

I am willing to rework my system to something that works well with Quicken Essentials, but first I must learn what does then work.

I decided to create myself an artificial learning datafile instead of trying to learn on my converted file.
So, I happily started up, only to be immediately stumped: I do NOT want to import data from my bank for the account.
I therefore set up a manual checking account, but

how in the world do I get a beginning balance into the account? :?

P.S.: I have now a half hour later come up with the idea of entering a deposit dated on last date of previous year, a deposit which would then not get counted whenever calculations made for current year.

Sound good? :)

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: HELP! How manually enter acct starting balance?

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm

We imported from Quicken 2007, so I never had to enter an opening balance. (And I think we had to correct a couple of date errors, deposits that had a date out of range of the account span.)

I did find this answer on the web, which sounds like exactly the approach you suggest:
If you haven't already, you may want to review: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/artic ... /7652.html To establish an opening balance in an account register, enter a deposit transaction with the opening date.
By the way, once we got the import done and tinkered with a bit, I quite like QE. It's got a number of interface improvements, and vastly better font handling. I understand that it doesn't do some things Quicken 2007 does, and if you need those features, you're out of luck for the moment. But it does everything we need and does it correctly. With Quicken 2007, the app kept losing track of something, giving us a reconcile error two or three times a year.

According to some reader reports on Macintouch, Quicken has announced it will Lionize Quicken 2007, and that you'll be able to import from QE. No news on planned improvements for QE though.

There is one glitch that shows up in Quicken Essentials for me. If I enter a date too slowly, QE ignores the first digit, so that, for example, 17 becomes 07. I'd blame it on Quicken, but I can also duplicate this glitch in a date field in Aperture, so I think it's an OS oddity.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank you, Stephen,

I have bookmarked the web address you gave. I appreciate your input and I plug on - discovering now just what I best name categories for my own easy reading of same in various kinds of reports. Choosing to consider this an interesting little endeavor to precede my being able to work with it!

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Kirsten, interesting that you should pose that question! I just started Essentials yesterday myself and found myself with the same question! I am working on things very slowly... but let's talk some time about our mutual experiences.