Internet Speed

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Internet Speed

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Taking your questions in backward order:

The forum is new. None of the previous signees were transferred, so each SMUGger has to 1. discover that there's a new forum, 2. Register again.

My DSL is nominally 1.5, and it works fine for Netflix streaming movies, even when I'm streaming with a wireless connection from my DSL modem. I do have to wait through a buffering period, and, most times, a second buffering period. But then the movie plays OK. I've also watched Netflix movies on my iPhone.

By the way, if you accidentally post twice, or to the wrong section, or whatever, you can delete a post. The trick is to get it quickly, and before anyone responds.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm

There's a whole thread on that topic. Bottom line: you have a delete button until someone responds to your post or, maybe, until some time passes. I don't know if admins can delete a single message even if you, as the poster, can't. It's worth asking.

http://www.straitmac.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Bob, I have the Qwest DSL 1.5 service. When I stream a Netflix movie it takes less than 30 seconds to buffer and start the movie. After that it just runs. But this has been for SD movies. I haven't tried a HD yet.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.