Club Dues

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Club Dues

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Those of you who have paid club dues know that SMUG is not a financial powerhouse. In fact, we are just barely solvent. The club makes a donation to the folks who host our meetings. We've had travel expenses for speakers in the past year. And then there's the cost of our refreshments, insurance for our equipment, and the cost of the Sequim Technology and Media Fair mentioned in another posting.

In trying to find the politically correct solution on dues, SMUG's situation is analogous to the national dilemma. But unlike our hapless congress, we have in this case an enlightened despot capable of on-the-fly decisions. We could reduce entitlements (no refreshments!!) or we can raise revenue (new taxes!) After some contemplation I've decided to raise the yearly dues to $24 but with the following conditions.

First, club members will be expected to pay their dues by Feb 15, 2012. Any continuing club members who pay by that deadline may do so at a reduced rate of $20. So pay up front and save $4. Previously subscribed members who miss that deadline will be expected to pay the full $24. Newcomers who join the club during the year will continue to have their dues pro-rated monthly... with all memberships being for the calendar year.

At last night's meeting in Port Angeles (Nov 2) it was suggested that I make this suggestion to the membership and that we discuss it at the Sequim meeting in December. So consider this my suggested course of action. I will of course entertain discussion and the final decision will be made at the Sequim meeting December 7.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Club Dues

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:01 am

How about an address to send checks to?

I think the dues increase is a good idea. The tech fair seemed like very good exposure for SMUG, and a nice chance for some of the public to see Macs in action.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Have been thinking about this since posting my first (above) and have also begun to wonder whether we need to post someone at the door to check member status. This would be the way the Sequim PC Group does things ... where you would have a yearly membership or a "suggested donation" for attending a single meeting. When this was suggested to me years ago I felt it was unwelcoming and off-putting. Your ideas about this now?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 am

I've been an active member of SMUG for not quite 10 years now. During that time we have never required people to pay dues to attend meetings nor should we. I like the openness of our group and to "post someone at the door to check member status" is anathema to our spirit of freely sharing and giving all things Apple and techie. We would lose members, participation and create all kinds of ill will.

If we're having trouble paying our bills (and so far we've never gone in the red) then there are cuts that can be made. I can think of several. But voluntary payment of dues and an open door policy has served us well and can continue to do so.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I agree with Richard.

To go a step in the suggestions request: Ditch the refreshments. Members can bring their own. Still, however, allow the 10 minutes or so for socializing/networking.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:55 pm

I think the refreshments are on their way out as we speak.... Nice though they were.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 pm

We don't need to drop the refreshments, just modify what's being done. Coffee is cheap, but the real nice cookies are pricey. Why not a big box of Oreos? Everybody likes Oreos and the COSTCO size boxes are cheap.

There are other areas where we can be frugal but that's for a different thread.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:How about an address to send checks to?
Not to beat a dead horse, but there might be some members reading this thread who--like me--would be happy to kick in the $25.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jim Ude
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Jim Ude » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Refreshments are nice. They don't have to be fancy/expensive. Melissa has done a wonderful job! I would hope increasing the "taxes" to $24 would be acceptable and at the end of the year if the pot is again flush we could adjust downward the following year. Kinda nice to be in control of the taxes.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Hate to snap a wet towel... but the issue here is not the cost of the goodies. We've got that covered in our massive, bulging treasury. The problem is to get a person or two people to simply APPEAR as if by magic at each meeting. Melissa has done this with aplomb. As Woody Allen said, "Eighty percent of success is simply showing up." In theory this seems simple. In practice it takes determination and perspicacity.