E-mail photo attachments

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

E-mail photo attachments

Post by KarenColes » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Recently, I've sent several press releases, with attached photos, to our local newspapers. The text was received, but the pictures were not. I was told that the photos needed to be attached, not imbedded, and needed to be .jpeg format. Whenever I attach photos to an email,they are .jpegs and always appear to be imbedded.

Is there a way to avoid this problem? Is there another way to attach photos from iPhoto to email messages? I've tried several ways, but the results always seem to be the same. It was suggested by the reporter that the newspaper's email system may be at fault.

What do you think?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: E-mail photo attachments

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:57 am

I've never understood how, or if, there's a difference between attaching and embedding, though I've read the terms before.
In Mail, if you drag an item to an open mail window, or if you click the paper clip button, you get the same result.
Unlike some e-mail apps, Mail shows the image in the window (same with pdfs), but it's still an attachment.

Two ways you might try:
Compress the image before attaching it. All e-mail apps treat zip files as just files.
Use Windows-friendly attachments (see image).
Attachments
windowsfriend.jpg
windowsfriend.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 403 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs