Why Does The DELETE Button Disappear?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Why Does The DELETE Button Disappear?

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:
JerryFreilich wrote:How do you DELETE a post? I thought we can now do this?
Take off those shades and open your eyes.
I'm sure I've never seen that many buttons. You must be special! For example, an admin.

Here's what I see today, though as I wrote above, I think I remember a delete button in the last couple of days.
Attachments
delete.jpg
delete.jpg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Log in Automatically?

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Aha! I'm not as far gone as I thought.

I see a Delete button only on just-submitted posts. Looking back at past posts--and by "past" I mean one day old--I do not see a Delete button.
Attachments
delete2.jpg
delete2.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 pm

OK, Ray and I have been emailing each other and it turns out there is a bug. As much as I hate to admit it to anyone, especially Jerry Freilich I guess I was wrong.

Yes, there are different classifications of users. Ray has the Administrator's rank and I'm a mere Moderator. In the past, general members had the DELETE button but now it's gone for general members. Why this happened is a mystery. Ray didn't make any changes.

So we have a call in to our Olypen Techie but he isn't working today (4/9/11). As soon as we can reach him we'll have this fixed.

As I've said before on this new forum, we've been working with the software for about a week now and have been up-and-running for less than a week. Please be patient. Things are a lot better than they were with the old software.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:48 pm

And, just as a followup, it appears the the Delete button is only available for me on my most recent post, even if the post before was a few seconds ago.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:And, just as a followup, it appears the the Delete button is only available for me on my most recent post, even if the post before was a few seconds ago.
This may be an important clue. I like empirical tests.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, I think I have the answer to the DELETE issue. We all need to remember that this software has a really good FAQ section, something JForum didn't have. So I went to the FAQ and read about editing and deleting a post. It seems that phpBB3 will only let you edit a limited number of times and you CAN'T delete your post after someone else has replied.

I have no idea as to why the authors of phpBB3 have set it up that way, but as Walter Cronkite used to say, "And that's the way it is."

It still chaps my hide I had to admit making a mistake to Jerry Freilich considering he's wearing a dismembered hand on his right shoulder. Check out his avatar and tell me that isn't something right out of a Stephen King novel.
Attachments
delete.jpg
delete.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:12 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Well, I think I have the answer to the DELETE issue. We all need to remember that this software has a really good FAQ section, something JForum didn't have. So I went to the FAQ and read about editing and deleting a post. It seems that phpBB3 will only let you edit a limited number of times and you CAN'T delete your post after someone else has replied.

I have no idea as to why the authors of phpBB3 have set it up that way, but as Walter Cronkite used to say, "And that's the way it is."
Richard,
Nice catch on finding the Delete button solution in the FAQs.

I think that I will add that info into the Bulletin Board Instructions, so that future users will not be subjected to the same confusion regarding the "Case of the Disappearing Delete Button" ... assuming that they actually read the instructions before posting.

I guess it does make sense, though, not to allow post deletions after a post has been replied to ... because that would be somewhat like taking a ten chapter novel and deleting a few of the middle chapters.

In other words, posts with replies must be kept in order to maintain the "continuity" of the thread ... especially with users regularly quoting previous postings!

By the way, our admin settings do not put a time nor frequency limit on editing one of your own posts. So users can edit as frequently as necessary, and whenever they find the need.

The only two posting constraints are a limit of 60,000 characters per post, and a quote nesting depth limit of 3.

There is also a "flood interval" setting that requires a 15 second wait between new postings ... a setting designed to prevent a flood of robo-postings. Hopefully this will not affect people posting!!
;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Why Does The DELETE Button Disappear?

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Very innerasting! And in the case I originally posted about ... it was my OWN subsequent posting that made me unable to delete the first one.