Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Log in Automatically?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 am

Actually, Richard at Olypen must have talked to Ray...not me. And this is exactly why we opened an account with Olypen. A quick call to their tech support and things were put in order.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 pm

It's been working for me since my first visit (Wednesday night, I think).
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm

jcline wrote:auto login is now working for me. I can close and quit Safari and I'm still logged in.
Me too.

I guess the problem passed.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:52 pm

As Jay and others have already discovered, the issue got fixed over at Olypen a few hours ago.

The problem was, in fact, the cookie settings in the Forum software. Until now the cookie settings did not reflect usage of our new domain ... http://www.straitmac.org.

Now, if you login with the checkbox checked, you will stay logged in even if you quit your browser. The next time you launch the same browser (on the same computer) the cookie will return you to your logged in status.

Remember NOT to logout, if you want to remain logged in (DUH). If you do logout, the cookie will be deleted, and you will have to log in again the next time you want to use the Forum.

And if you have a setting in your browser that totally disallows cookies, this feature will not be able to work.

:geek:
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 pm

But wait! There's more! If you call now, you'll receive the slicer-dicer-internet-app for free!

Seriously, there appears to be another significant advantage to phpBB. You can log in from more than one device.

As I type, my iPhone and my iMac are logged in. I could type messages on both my iPhone and my iMac simultaneously, but that'd be showing off. (A very obscure reference to a Red Dwarf episode.)

This is really great, because it means if you log in from your iPhone (or, presumably, a different computer or iPad) you won't have to remember to log out. You can just check the forum from anywhere.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Yah, we've been working with this program (phpBB3) for less than a week and I must say I'm most impressed. Compared to JForum, it's easy to administer for the Webmaster and Moderators and has a lot of useful features for the members. And it's FREE!
---

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:17 pm

I usually close (log out) and quit my browser after I am finished for the day. I don't like being connected to the internet all night long. My problem may be that I use Camino as my primary browser. I have not tried Safari to see if I will stay logged in.

I don't mind clicking the login button, but I don't like having to type my user name and password each time. Actually, I have a button in my dock set for the SMUG login page, so it comes up immediately, but I have to type in my name and password.

Olypen has an automatic login for their spam intercept site (postini) which retains my login information even after I close my browser and put the computer to sleep for the night. Olypen seems to be able to handle Camino.

Ray, if I don't log out what is the value of an automatic login? It isn't remembering anything. It always thinks I am on-line doing something in the site.

One nice thing, I just noticed, is that the time reflects the local time and not some time some place else in the world.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

In Safari, have you gone to Preferences and given Safari permission to save and automatically load usernames and passwords? By default this option is OFF.

If you turn it on, the first visit to a website will elicit a drop down box asking you if you want to save your username and password. If you click the YES button Safari will automatically load your username and password from then on (for that website).
---

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 am

I now have automatic login working in Camino. The clue was to check the box to add user name and password to my keychain in the Camino Preferences panel.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 am

Auto Log-in is NOT working for me. Although this is not a big issue it is a minor annoyance. I think we should use this as a quick test of our new board-hosting service. It should be a straight-forward issue and I don't see why it should be difficult to solve. I am also interested why Jay's configuration seems to work OK but some of us are having trouble. I never had auto log-in issues with the old BBS. Let's follow up on this.