Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:36 am

Logging in automatically isn't working for me. I have checked the checkbox each time I've logged in, but it doesn't stick. Is it working for others?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Log in Automatically?

Post by Bob Wiswell » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:15 am

It has never worked for me; even now. However, I am using 10.4.11 and I suspected that was my reason.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:12 am

Did any of you report this to the Webmaster so he'd know there was a problem? Please consider that this new forum has been up-and-running for less than 48 hours and it will require some fine tuning. We now have an active Webmaster and a software program much easier to work with but if he isn't informed he can't help.

I've reported the problem to the Webmaster and I'm sure he'll let us know what's going on in a timely manner.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 am

My understanding of this issue is as follows:

The feature is supposed to keep you logged in the event that you quit your browser (without logging out) and then restart your browser at a later time.

This is supposed to be accomplished by creating a "cookie" in your browser, that in our case is a .olypen.com cookie.

Once you log out the cookie is destroyed, so you would have to manually log in at your next session. (This makes sense from a security standpoint.)

The feature has never worked for me in any bulletin board software using any browser, so I typically just never log out and never quit my browser.

Even then I sometimes have to log in again. So, I don't know where the problem originates.

It is somewhat comforting that we are not alone on this issue, as indicated here .

I will, however, communicate with the support staff at Olypen and see if they can shed any light on the issue.

:(
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks for checking into this for us, Ray. It's a little thing to have to click the LOGIN box each time you visit. It's something I can live with.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 am

Ray, after thinking about your explanation I tried an experiment. I logged in to this forum and then went to Safari's Preferences/Security and looked at my cookies. As you can see, this forum did NOT leave a cookie. I bet that's why when I leave the forum (without logging out) I still have to log in again when I return.

Furthermore, this was never a problem for me on the old forum and you can see that there are still cookies in Safari for the old forum which is probably why I could logon in to the old forum, leave, and come back still logged on.

Our new software isn't leaving cookies. Oh, I changed my setting in Preferences/Security to ALWAYS allow cookies and the new forum software still didn't leave a cookie.

This whole issue of having to click a button to log in each time is a small one, but an interesting one.

I hope this helps with your trouble shooting.

After thought: When we were setting things up last weekend we didn't have this problem. But we were working "behind the scenes" using Olypen's domain. This problem didn't pop up until we moved to our own domain, Straitmac.ORG. I don't know if this is pertinent or not but I thought I'd remind you that we didn't have this problem when we used Olypen's domain.
Attachments
log.jpg
log.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:34 am

Richard Serkes wrote:This whole issue of having to click a button to log in each time is a small one, but an interesting one.
For me the problem is less having to login each time, but forgetting to do so until I wonder where the quote, etc. buttons are.

I visit another phpbb forum, and don't have to log in each time there. I bet there's a flag that needs to be set somewhere deep in the bowels of phpbb.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:This whole issue of having to click a button to log in each time is a small one, but an interesting one.
I bet there's a flag that needs to be set somewhere deep in the bowels of phpbb.
If there's anyone more qualified to check our bowels than Ray, I don't know who it is.

:lol:
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 am

auto login is now working for me. I can close and quit Safari and I'm still logged in.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-04-08 at 11.45.37 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-08 at 11.45.37 AM.png (16.71 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:52 am

I can confirm that. I guess Ray was able to root around in our bowels and fix things.

Thanks Ray!
---