Facebook Phishing And/Or Identity Theft?

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Facebook Phishing And/Or Identity Theft?

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 pm

I just received an email purportedly from Facebook telling me that two people would like to be my friend. I have the option of clicking "Accept Invitation" or "Go to Facebook." But I don't have a Facebook account. I never have had one and have absolutely no desire to have one. So how could someone ask me to accept them as a friend on my account when no such account exists?

Is this somebody's attempt at phishing or a grab for my online ID? Is it Facebook trying to get me to open an account? I tried going to Facebook to inquire about this email but it seems you have to be a member to get to Support.
Attachments
facebook.jpg
facebook.jpg (131.99 KiB) Viewed 607 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Facebook Phishing And/Or Identity Theft?

Post by Bob Wiswell » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Do you know Teri? If not, then I would be very cautious and not go there. If you know her, give her a call and ask how she requested to be your friend.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:Do you know Teri? If not, then I would be very cautious and not go there. If you know her, give her a call and ask how she requested to be your friend.
No, I don't know her. What also makes me more than a little suspicious is the fact that my wife's name is Terry Lynn. The first names are spelled a little differently but too close for mere coincidence.

I sent the email to TRASH after posting in this forum. I never click a link inside an email.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:I sent the email to TRASH after posting in this forum. I never click a link inside an email.
A wise man.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs