Lost wireless keyboard connection

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bill black
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Lost wireless keyboard connection

Post by bill black » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:54 am

My iMac G5 cannot seem to find my Mac bluetooth keyboard this morning (it was okay last night). New batteries have been installed but Bluetooth Setup Assistant messages "There isn't a wireless keyboard connected." I have restarted the computer twice to no avail I tried starting up from DiskWarrior but since the keyboard does not work the "C" key will not function.
Any suggestions?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Lost wireless keyboard connection

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:08 am

Did you:

Double check the battery orientation? All batteries should go in plus side first.

Double check that that "new" batteries are up to snuff?

Turn the keyboard on after you replaced the batteries? (Switch is on the right end of the battery compartment.) You should see the tiny light blink once it's on.

Restart the computer.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

bill black
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by bill black » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Yes to all the suggestions. I re-checked the on switch but it does not stay connected. It appears I have a bad keyboard. Fortunately I located one from my previous iMac and it is working okay. Thanks for your suggestions.
Bill

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Since you're able to logon without a keyboard I'm assuming you don't have a password logon system. Rethink that. Anyway, let's try something else. Turn the keyboard OFF by holding down the power button until the light stops flashing. With your mouse, open up System Preferences/Bluetooth and delete your keyboard.

Next, turn the keyboard back on. Hold down the power button until it stops flashing and the green light is steady. Then use your mouse to open System Preferences/Bluetooth and add the keyboard. Does it work now? If not, you probably do have a bad keyboard.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.