MacKeeper

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
carabon1
Forum Member
Forum Member

MacKeeper

Post by carabon1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 pm

It seems a product called MacKeeper is advertised a lot on Yahoo and other sites these days. It makes a lot of claims about doing all kinds of good things like removing duplicate files and trash. I have not bought it and dont know anything other than what I can read in its advertising.
I have heard other people ask about it at meetings. But no authoritative answers have been offered.
Should we have a topic just for MacKeeper to collect opinions, user comments, etc?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: MacKeeper

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm

You've just started such a thread. If people have had any experience with this program they can leave comments here.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:52 am

I've weighed in on this kind of software before.
Whenever I've tested, so-called "cleanup" software has always flagged files for deletion that I know are needed.

Even when files appear to be unnecessary, deleting them may break some software or software installers.

Here's my advice:

If your hard drive is within 25% of full, replace it with a bigger hard drive. Drives are really cheap these days, and a new one will be safer (against hardware failure) than your old one. Sometimes it makes sense to use the old drive in an external case as a backup drive.
Then just ignore extra files. With few exceptions, removing those files won't have a big impact on your hard drive space.

Of course, there are some circumstances when this is impractical: if you have a MacBook that's already got the largest drive available, or if you have a desktop Mac that's really difficult to replace the drive in. (In the latter case, I'd say get a shop to do the swap.)

There was a discussion recently on Macintouch about drive defragmenting and optimization. The same advice applies there.

Note that if you move some files to an external drive, you'll then have two separate drives you need to carefully back up.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm

I have been using MacKeeper for several months now without any problem.

All of the functions seem to work as advertised, are easy to use, and are well explained.

The primary reason buying it was for the anti-virus protection ... one of many tasks that is provided by MacKeeper. (see screenshot)

It is really a "swiss army knife" of handy Mac utilities.

More information and video tutorials are available from the MacKeeper website: http://mackeeper.zeobit.com

;)
Attachments
MacKeeper.png
MacKeeper.png (315.37 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:59 pm

The new issue of MacLife (November, 2011 -- No.58) has an interesting review of MacKeeper.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by bluesky » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:I have been using MacKeeper for several months now without any problem.

All of the functions seem to work as advertised, are easy to use, and are well explained.

The primary reason buying it was for the anti-virus protection ... one of many tasks that is provided by MacKeeper. (see screenshot)

It is really a "swiss army knife" of handy Mac utilities.

More information and video tutorials are available from the MacKeeper website: http://mackeeper.zeobit.com

;)
Can you scan for viruses on another hard drive volume, or another Mac if connected via Firewire target mode?
"All computers wait at the same speed."

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:42 pm

bluesky wrote:Can you scan for viruses on another hard drive volume, or another Mac if connected via Firewire target mode?
All I can tell you for sure is that you can do a Custom Scan of any mounted external volume. The screenshot below shows the scanning of one of my weekly backup volumes.

I haven't tried it myself, but I would guess that you could boot a Mac from a thumb drive that had a copy of MacKeeper installed, and then treat the Mac's internal hard drive as just another mounted volume.

To get a definitive answer regarding scanning another Mac, I would suggest that you try calling the toll-free number in the screenshot.

;)
Attachments
Custom Scan.jpg
Custom Scan.jpg (184.56 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.