file-to-file transfer

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

file-to-file transfer

Post by swifty » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

I just finished creating a local network to transfer files from one computer to another. And I now have the two computers on the local network. My question at this point is how do I actually go ahead and transfer files. What commands do I use? Grateful for any help at this point.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: file-to-file transfer

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Since you started this thread in the Lion sub forum, we'll assume both Macs are running 10.7. Have you tried using Airdrop? It's one of the cool new features available in Lion. Drag the file(s) you want to transfer to your Airdrop folder and then open Airdrop on the other Mac. You'll have to "accept" the new files and when you do they'll be copied to the new Mac.

Pretty darn neat, huh?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by swifty » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:07 am

Air Drop is neat. My problem though is that one of the computers I'm using pre-dates the use of Air Drop. So I need to transfer files ala a local network.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:32 am

1. System Preferences > Sharing Check File Sharing on each Mac.
2. To find a Mac on your LAN, look in the Finder Sidebar for the Shared section. You should see a little computer icon and the word All.
3. Select the Mac in question from the list of shared items in the next column. (You may also see networked printers here.)

The first time you set this up, and maybe sometimes after that, you'll have to authenticate. We just sign in as the owner of the Mac. That does mean that each of us has access to all the other's files.
Let us know if you need more security than that and we can give instructions.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 am

swifty wrote:Air Drop is neat. My problem though is that one of the computers I'm using pre-dates the use of Air Drop. So I need to transfer files ala a local network.
Since this is an issue that isn't specific to Lion, I'm going to move it to the General Discussion sub forum where more people will see it.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by swifty » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:32 pm

I've scoped out what's involved and realize that the transfer of hundreds of files from our G4 with OS 10.4 makes more sense if we just go ahead and get a superdrive for the MacBook Air with OS 10.7 and burn CD's on the G4 and transfer them that way.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:43 pm

swifty wrote:I've scoped out what's involved and realize that the transfer of hundreds of files from our G4 with OS 10.4 makes more sense if we just go ahead and get a superdrive for the MacBook Air with OS 10.7 and burn CD's on the G4 and transfer them that way.
Oh. I didn't realize that you were wanting to migrate from an old Mac to a new one. Here are two ways to transfer the bulk of files that are far better than burning to CD.

• If you have not started using the Air yet--that is to say, you haven't already created a lot of user files there:
Use Migration Assistant. This will bring over all your user files from the G4, along with all of your settings, etc. This is all automatic and requires no decisions or supervision. It just works--though it might take a long time. The result is your G4 user on your Air. This is the fastest and safest method.

Here's a Macworld article on migrating.

• If you have been using the Air for a while, have a user set up there and want to move files and folders and drag them where you want:
Hie thee off to Costco and buy a pocket-sized external drive. This should have enough capacity to hold everything on your G4. That's probably going to be the smallest (and cheapest) they have. These drives all have USB connections, which is what you need for the Air.
Plug the drive into the G4, partition it properly in Disk Utility (GUID if you want it to boot the Air) and drag and drop folders. It's probably a good idea to do this in steps, rather than trying to Finder copy the whole user folder. Make sure you pay attention to where folders are so you don't get lost.
Now eject the drive and plug it into the Air. Drag and drop folders to their destinations.

This will be tremendously faster than using CDs and you won't end up with a pound of waste plastic. Furthermore, you will have that nifty drive for backup.
Steve Jobs

swifty
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by swifty » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Stephen, good idea. Particularly with iTunes Library. Dick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm

swifty wrote:Stephen, good idea. Particularly with iTunes Library. Dick
If you're wanting to transfer iTunes or iPhoto libraries, I recommend you use Migration Assistant.

In this case, I'd first back up anything new on the Air. Then start from scratch and migrate the G4 user. Finally, add the backed up files. I think that'd be a safer approach. The real danger here is forgetting to copy something.
Steve Jobs