Bento Name Tags

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Bento Name Tags

Post by KarenColes » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

What's the best way to use a Bento library to print name tags for participants attending an event?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Bento Name Tags

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Depends on which version of Bento.

Version 4 introduced improved printing:
http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/features.html

You're still restricted to a single font size per name tag:
http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/147e5c6e8a

You could populate a template in Pages, for example, and print anything you like (that fits).
http://numbers.maccreate.com/2009/03/24 ... -pages-09/

Maybe someone will have more direct ideas.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 pm

As Stephen indicated, Bento 4 has added the capability of printing labels and name badges.

Name badge printing amounts to printing a label, where the printer stock is actually badge stock, like Avery 8163.

The Print dialog box allows you to configure which fields are to be printed, how the text is to be justified (right, left, or center), as well as font family, color and size. (see screenshots)

Images, such as a logo, can also be added, but no customizing can be done to adjust its size or position.

If more customizing is wanted, the data would have to be exported, and then imported into a different application.

Note in the last screenshot that I have checked the Print Label Border checkbox. Selecting this option would allow you to simply print on standard heavy card stock and then cut out individual badges... instead of using expensive Avery name badge stock.

;)
Attachments
Bento Badge Setup.jpg
Bento Badge Setup.jpg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
Bento Badge Layout.jpg
Bento Badge Layout.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
Bento Badge Appearance.jpg
Bento Badge Appearance.jpg (104.15 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:59 am

I continue to struggle with this project for an event next Saturday. Since I only have Bento v1, I'm not able to use the enhanced printing suggestions. I reviewed Stephen's suggestion about populating a Pages template, and read the info in that link, but it relates to Pages 09, and I'm using Pages 08, so I don't seem to be able to use that advice because the Inspector in 08 doesn't appear to have a merge feature. Also, it's been so long since I've merged anything, I struggle with that. I'd love to be able to print these name badges on Avery 8163, even with the expense, and I was easily able to convert my Bento file into a Numbers file, thinking that this might help merge into a pages template. But alas, I'm stuck at that point, thinking that there should be a way to do this.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 am

How many labels do you need to print?
Facing a deadline, the process you want is the easiest and most foolproof to do once, even if it's not efficient for routine use.
So for a moderate number of labels, I'd suggest using whatever application you have that can print free-form pages of text: Pages would do. Then just put the paragraphs, each with one label's contents, in an array on a page. You can just make test prints on the back of used paper (at an ink-saver setting if you like). Hold the test print on a label sheet and put it on a window so you can see the label edges. (Alternatively, remove all the labels from one label sheet and the edges will be very easy to see.) Tinker with placement until you're satisfied. Save the page full of labels as a template.
I did this years ago with InDesign, and still use the templates. (I've converted some to Pages.) It allows me to easily print a single label or a page of labels or an envelope. I have templates for envelope labels, package labels and half-sheet labels. It is not mail merge however, so it's not appropriate for large numbers of labels or routine use for full pages of different labels.

Here are three links with suggestions. You might have to plow through them a bit.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/21 ... 0&tstart=0
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=362877
http://macintoshhowto.com/mail/how-to-c ... -file.html
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 am

Also, check out this post by Ray:

Bento 4 Upgrade - Only $9
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Go to the Avery website. They offer FREE utilities that will print name tags. Just make sure you download the utility that's appropriate for your Mac's OS. You might be able to drop the fields into Numbers and then export that file to the Avery software so you won't have to enter all the data by hand.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Richard is correct. Avery DesignPro is a FREE download from here.

There are a variety of editable Name Badge templates to select from. (see first screenshot)

Mail merge can then be done using data from Address Book, Mail, or from an exported .csv (Comma Separated Values) file ... like from Numbers. (see second screenshot)

By the way, DesignPro also works under Lion ... I just verified that by printing a name badge.

;)
Attachments
DesignPro.jpg
DesignPro.jpg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
DesignPro Data Source.jpg
DesignPro Data Source.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Have you tried using the DesignPro Help Menu?

From its main menu, choose Help Contents > Merge Data > Mail Merge

You should then see a screen like the one in the first screenshot below.

Basically all you have to do is select a field, like the name field, click the Mail Merge button, Browse to find your .csv file, and select the appropriate data (like Full Name).

This works fine for me using a .csv file for data (see second screenshot)

Name Badge stock should be available at any office supply store, like Staples, Office Depot or Olympic Stationary.

;)
Attachments
DesignPro Help.jpg
DesignPro Help.jpg (118.73 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Design Pro Merge.jpg
Design Pro Merge.jpg (218.69 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks so much, Ray. I'm making progress, and am starting to think I'll be able to master this project. A few formatting challenges right now, but I'm figuring it out.

Stay tuned .....