Mac vs PC

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mac vs PC

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Another great xkcd comic.

(I would say, however, that the day when I do everything in a browser is a long, long way off, despite software companies fondest dreams.)

Another way to put this is that if all you do is use a browser, Mac vs PC = meh.

http://xkcd.com/934/
Attachments
mac_pc.png
mac_pc.png (13.33 KiB) Viewed 664 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

8string
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Re: Mac vs PC

Post by 8string » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:52 am

Yes, I use both Macs and PCs daily, it seems. A Dell desktop, a Mac Pro, a Macbook Pro, a Dell XPS 15z. Very little difference in ease of use or look and feel . Better power keys for power users on Windows 7. I prefer Outlook on Windows over the terribly buggy Outlook on Mac. ( a Microsoft problem to be sure, with help from Apple). For browser users there's really no difference so why spend the extra money. It seems that Apple returns from sleep mode better when you are watching videos on iTunes. Less likely to have video problems after coming out of sleep. The Apple keypad is really the one area that is vastly better than anything on Windows. Quicken sucks on the Mac, but has vastly more options on Windows. If you need Quicken for business, there is no comparison. You should be on Windows.

Still have a few more minor problems with printers on Windows than the Mac. Not much though, usually third party apps that are poorly written to begin with. USB 3.0 has far greater amounts of stuff for it, and is plenty fast enough. Thunderbolt accessories cost more (but run a little faster). In general, for people that just need simplicity, and don't care about cost, I still recommend Macs. For those who are price sensitive, I recommend Windows 7. I can buy a fully functional laptop running W7 at Staples in Sequim for about $400 to $500. Not here to really debate this, but just to point out the current situation, as I see it, as a user of both machines daily. they both are great platforms for working on.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Re: Mac vs PC

Post by Jay Cline » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:11 am

It's all ones and zeros. Use what works best for you.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.