Print Program compatible with Lion

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Maryann Proctor
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Print Program compatible with Lion

Post by Maryann Proctor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:34 am

Well the old Mac Mini is dead and being parted out, I had to get a new one :D . The print program I was using was old and it doesn't work with Lion. I need a new print program now but it has to design Posters that can be resized for Newspaper Ads. I got totally lost in Photoshop the (large version with 3 parts) but I can use most of elements. I need something fairly simple and hope that one of you Mac Genius's has a suggestion of a simple to use program that will do the job and not cost 2 arms and a leg.
Thanks,
Maryann

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Print Program compatible with Lion

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Photoshop is probably not the app of choice. It's about editing photos images, one at a time.

What you probably need is a page layout app, and then you might use Photoshop or a similar photo editing app for individual elements that would then go on a page.

InDesign is the 18 wheeler of page layout apps. It does, in fact, cost two arms and a leg. (Unless you can legitimately buy as a student, faculty member, etc. Then it only costs one arm.) It also has a steep learning curve, and is probably too oriented toward multi-page documents.

Pages might be just the ticket. Modern, easy-to-learn, not too expensive. (Especially if you buy it from the Mac App Store.)
It has a page-layout mode and a word processing mode.
You should be able to lay out images and text blocks with relative ease.
You might still want an image-editing app to work on individual images.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:26 pm

The three newspapers on the North Olympic Peninsula use Indesign and Photoshop. Adobe CS3 (Sequim Gazette, Port Townsend Leader) and CS4 (Peninsula Daily News). I've worked for two of those newspapers and done work for the other. Indesign has a steep learning curve if you have not used a high-end page layout program previously and you'd have to do a lot of ads to justify the cost. You'll also need Acrobat Pro to export the ad to PDF as you would likely not want to send the Indesign file, accompanying images and fonts to the newspaper due to large file sizes.

Give Pages a try, you can lay out very complex designs with it with a few hours of practice.

Newspapers production departments receive submitted ads all the time. Some are done by high-end shops and some are done by home users. Mostly we get really poorly conceived Microsoft Publisher files and sometimes ads done in Word that don't meet our quality standards. Most likely if the ad didn't meet with the quality requirements of the newspaper they would do it over anyway. Suggest you save yourself many hours of training and dollars for all the high-end page layout applications and just give the newspaper the information they need to lay out your ads for you. Ask them to do the ad and they might make you a free poster.

If you really want to learn how to use Indesign I'd suggest one of the many Indesign books that are available. My personal favorites are the "Dummies" books because I like their humor and easy to follow instructions.

I've seen young people who don't want to learn new things and i've seen people in their 80s want to learn how to use every new app that comes out on their iPad and new Mac including complex applications like Indesign, Photoshop and Final Cut.
Last edited by Jay Cline on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:47 am

I don't know anything about this application, but it might be worth taking a look at. The price is right.
C:four's iStudio Publisher 1.1.8 is a page layout application for newsletters, flyers, letters, and similar print documents. Features include master pages, text flow, support for any size page, a Shape Library, drawing tools, and more. This release adds font face previews in the font selection list, updated menu options and keyboard shortcuts for workspace layout configurations and view zoom settings, a fix for memory leaks when caching images, and other changes. iStudio Publisher is $49.99 for Mac OS X 10.4.11 through 10.7 (Universal Binary) and is also available in the Mac App Store for $17.99.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Maryann Proctor
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Maryann Proctor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks everyone, I have pages '08 but didn't even think of it. Indesigns sound great but quite complicated for something needed soon. I will look seriously at IStudio Publisher, it sounds possible.
I was so sad when I saw so many of my programs with anti signs over them. I used them regularly and after all the problems of attempting to repair the old one and then the purchase of a new mac mini. It seemed kind of cruel to have to spend more money for programs on top of all that mess, don't think we are up for it just now. Thanks again for the help, Maryann