Lost connection to Lexmark printer...again

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Lost connection to Lexmark printer...again

Post by jest2dogs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:48 pm

This happened a few months ago when we mistakenly downloaded the 4.1 update from Lexmark. But I followed some rather drastic measures suggested in a thread in this forum and fixed the problem. I advised my wife (whose computer this is) to avoid Lexmark updates.

Well, recently (end of August) she allowed updates to Windows Messenger and Microsoft Office (for Mac) and then she discovered she could no longer communicate with the printer. Our SSID looks good and our PC communicates with the printer...but not the Mac. Is it the downloads from Microsoft? If so, how do I locate and remove them to see if they are indeed the root cause. (I am less and less enamored of Microsoft and am earnestly saving up for my own Mac Book Pro).

ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS!

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Lost connection to Lexmark printer...again

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:06 am

Once you update Office there's no going back unless you completely uninstall the suite and then reinstall. That's rather drastic so let me suggest you do that with the printer.

Turn the printer off and then open Systems Preferences. Under Print & Scan locate the Lexmark and remove it. At this point I'd reboot the Mac just to make sure any of the Lexmark drivers in RAM will be dumped. After you reboot, turn on the Lexmark and add it back in. Don't download the drivers from Lexmark, use the ones Apple provides. They may not be the newest but they didn't cause any problems in the past.

If this doesn't work let us know and we'll try something else.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 am

Just a general comment:

Apple Software Update has printer drivers supplied by the manufacturers. It will automatically download any drivers and driver updates for printers you've added (in the procedure Richard notes).
I'd stick to that procedure. In the past, I downloaded and installed drivers direct from HP, and had no end of problems afterward.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

briwilt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by briwilt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:24 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Just a general comment:

Apple Software Update has printer drivers supplied by the manufacturers. It will automatically download any drivers and driver updates for printers you've added (in the procedure Richard notes).
I'd stick to that procedure. In the past, I downloaded and installed drivers direct from HP, and had no end of problems afterward.
I second this suggestion. I've seen many problems, especially with HP software on both Mac and PC platforms. Lexmark runs a close second.

Recently, a client's MacBook was running very slowly. Further troubleshooting showed one of the installed services from the HP software suite was running in the background and maxing out the CPU. I uninstalled the HP software and let the Mac OS X add the printer software automatically. Problem solved.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:06 am

As of this morning (9/9/11) Apple has updated its Lexmark drivers for Lion. Read this article and it might be the solution to your problems:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/09/09/ ... e.machines
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:12 am

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:04 pm

I have just come back to this issue as I was busy with other stuff.

As per Richard's suggestions I just turned off and deleted the Lexmark 4800 from the printer list, rebooted the laptop and turned on the Lexmark.

Nada, nothing, zip. No recognition of printer.

Inserted "Installation disk" for Lexmark. Printer now listed as default printer.

Nada, nothing, zip. Won't print.

Same as happened last time (a few months back), when the Lexmark 4.1 update was erroneously installed from the Lexmark site.

How do I insure that I have the latest drivers and updates from apple?

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:56 pm

It will print if I use the USB. I have deleted and uploaded again. I tried to get it to recognize the printer through the router. At first it could not find my network. Then I typed in my network and it said all was okay, but still nada. (Airport is on and okay for internet, obviously, and the printer works fine via router, with our old Dell.)

Is it the old 4875 LEXMARK which earlier this summer decided not to shut off, and then after unplugging it finally decided to obey the on/off switch?

Why doesn't Apple make it's own printer then we might not have these problems. But this is the second or third go around with this Apple to Lexmark debacle

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 pm

jest2dogs wrote:It will print if I use the USB. I have deleted and uploaded again. I tried to get it to recognize the printer through the router. At first it could not find my network. Then I typed in my network and it said all was okay, but still nada. (Airport is on and okay for internet, obviously, and the printer works fine via router, with our old Dell.)

Is it the old 4875 LEXMARK which earlier this summer decided not to shut off, and then after unplugging it finally decided to obey the on/off switch?

Why doesn't Apple make it's own printer then we might not have these problems. But this is the second or third go around with this Apple to Lexmark debacle

Are you having similar issues:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/23 ... 1&tstart=0
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.