Address Book problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Address Book problem

Post by KarenColes » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:41 am

I suddenly seem to have a problem with adding new contacts to several groups I've set up in my address book. The icons for these groups are purple instead of white, and the group will not accept any new contacts when I try to drag them into the group. I've never had this problem in the past, so I'm wondering what has happened and how to fix it.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Address Book problem

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 am

What version of Address Book?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Version 4.1.2

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 pm

No suggestion, anyone??

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Without having a screenshot of what you are seeing in Address Book, it is difficult to make a reliable diagnosis.

However, here is one possibility:

If your group icon is purple with a small gear in the middle, then the group is a "smart group".

You cannot drag a contact into a "smart group", since contacts are only added when the "smart group" criteria is satisfied. See screenshot below for sample criteria.

If you do have a "smart group" (with a gear in the icon), you can delete that group by selecting the icon, and then choosing "Delete Group" from the Edit menu. Then, create a simple group that you can drag contacts into by choosing New Group from the File menu.

Notice also that if the checkbox shown is checked, whenever a contact is automatically added to the group, both the contact name and the group name are highlighted in purple.
Attachments
address-book-smart-group.png
address-book-smart-group.png (65.64 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks so much, Ray. My problem obviously is that I've got smart groups that I never intended to be smart groups. I'm sure I didn't set them up that way because I've added contatcts to these groups before. Hmmm. How could they have changed from regular groups to smart groups? Wonder if it could have had anything to do with Bento.

But I guess that the more important question is, "Is there a way to change them from smart groups to regular groups?"

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:35 pm

I can't help directly, because I have Address Book 6, but I wonder if this might work as a starting point:
To edit a Smart Group, select the item in the Group column and choose Edit > Edit Smart Group
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 pm

You can't change a smart group to a regular group, even by using the Edit command.

My suggestion would be to create a new regular group. Then select the smart group that has the contacts that you want, and drag them to the new group.

When you finish with that, delete the smart group using the gear menu at the bottom of the sidebar.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Great solution, Ray! (And simple, too.) The smart groups are now gone, and I'm back in business. Thanks so much!