Appleworks Spreadsheet altered

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Appleworks Spreadsheet altered

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 am

I have concluded that some Snow Leopard update has caused part of my Appleworks Spreadsheet program to not function:
I can no longer get it to display row and column headings.

This of course serves to encourage me to work at converting Appleworks spreadsheets to "Numbers", but as long as they are not yet converted (and they do not all convert beautifully or nicely workable), I'd prefer to be able to sometimes see my rows and columns.

Is it likely to be a valid conclusion that some software update would be the cause of this sudden change in what I can do with my spreadsheets?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Appleworks Spreadsheet altered

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:29 am

t's unlikely but not impossible that an OS update would change the features of an application. From your post it sounds as if you've recently updated Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) and now some Appleworks spreadsheet features have disappeared. Those with more experience using Appleworks might be able to help you reestablish your headings but there's something else you need to consider.

Sooner or later you're going to be upgrading to a newer OS that won't support Rosetta. The only reason you're still able to run Appleworks is that Snow Leopard contains Rosetta so you can run those older PowerPC applications. Lion (OS 10.7) has dropped Rosetta so you won't be able to use Appleworks in the future. If you own a copy of Numbers try copying the data from Appleworks and then paste it in Numbers. After that you can recreate your headings in Numbers. Your going to have to do this anyway once you leave Snow Leopard.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Richard,

Thank you for this response, commenting both on my current issue and future expected consequences of having Appleworks files.

I was already aware that Rosetta will be dropped and Appleworks useless, but really appreciate you mentioning it.

I am slowly converting stuff. It is timeconsuming.
I find that complex spreadsheets do not translate elegantly from Appleworks to Numbers.
The fine-tuning of format so carefully worked out in Appleworks doesn't quite make it and needs some cosmetic work (sometimes extensively so) before it is really useful in Numbers.

Basic spreadsheets - no problem.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Remember, there's another way to go:

Maintain a Snow Leopard startup drive. This will not work forever, but will for some years to come. Even if you need a new Mac today, there are several models you can run Snow Leopard on. You could set up a Mac mini, for example, in Snow Leopard, with the crucial files. Or a used MacBook. Just remember that this Mac has to be backed up just as assiduously as you already back up your main Mac.

Or you could set up a separate, external drive--backed up carefully, of course--that you can use to start up your main Mac.

Bottom line: you have several choices for how to maintain your AppleWorks files while you work out how to transition to the future.

Note that you will have to transition to the future. I'm just saying it's not an emergency today.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Thank you, Stephen -
very useful thoughts on how to make sure I can get by for a good while - at the same time knowing that I WILL have to transition to the future, as you put it.
Thank you for taking the time to write about this so thoughtfully.

Appleworks Alterration solved:
In the meantime I have discovered that if I close down Appleworks and restart it, it will give me back my options of seeing row and column headings. I guess Appleworks just gets overstuffed and saturated and needs to start over.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

I believe that AppleWorks has had a few problems for some years. Remember, it was discontinued a very long time ago.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs